Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Damn moon!!!!!

I have an east facing back garden and set my scope up on the lawn. Well not tonight I wont as there is a nearly full moon staring back at me and apart from that it is wonderfully clear tonight. What a bummer. Thats it. Whinge over.:D

I spend so much time observing objects without the Moon that some nights I try exploring the Moon, specially the terminator, where lots of crater and mountain detail are revealed. Though not most observers' "cup of tea", it can present some interesting things to observe. Some times I think of myself as a "lunatic" doing this but it breaks the routine and well, if you can't fight it, join it:D

If you do try observing the Moon, a good map is handy to identify what you are looking at, such as this nice sitehttp://lpod.wikispaces.com/December+4%2C+2011

I can understand what you mean if you're trying to observe other things, but tonight was my 1st night out with my new binos (1st night as a stargazer) and I thought the moon was fantastic! I was fortunate to have a clear(ish) sky and it was a great subject for a newbie such as myself. Sorry if it spoiled your evening though...

Full moon is a good time to learn the main features as they are all displayed at once. Best to use a low power, check out the names of the maria and largest craters with a moon map. Also a good time to look at the very edge - see how many mountains you can count sticking out the side and which is the biggest.

Archived