A good Barlow?

I think its safe to say the TAL's up there with the best within the "cheaper" price bracket but its probably a matter of opinion. It certiainly was a huge jump in clarity when I got my 3x. Where abouts in W Sussex are you Kedvenc?

Sorry to ask this in your thread Kedvenc, but I thought it would be better than creating a new one.

After being told today that the Tal x3 barlow I ordered was out of stock, I am also after a decent barlow. The main reason is for hooking up my webcam. Is a 5x too silly? For that price I'm wondering about the quality as well.

The Televue 1.25" 2x Barlow is actually cheaper than the Celestron Ultima.

TeleVue 2x Barlow 1.25"

Celestron Ultima x2 Barlow Lens | Telescope Accessories | Rother Valley Optics

I have owned the Ultima and its excellent. Optically they are probably evenly

matched but the Televue has the added bonus of

a compression ring fitting.

I'd suggest any of these from the budget end to high quality (all 2x except where stated):

Tal, Celestron Ultima, Orion Shorty Plus, Televue barlow, Antares (1.6x) and Televue Powermate.

I'd also suggest buying second hand cos you'll save at least 40% off new prices. :icon_salut:

Hmmm, all my posts seem rather negative today and this one wont be an exception, so accept my apologies in advance! I have a Tal 3x which I purchased second hand and to be honest I prefer the Skywatcher 2x I got with my very first scope, I actually held onto it when selling my 150P and use it all the time. It just seems sharper and brighter (I know we expect to lose some light/quality with a 3X over a 2X) and my TAL doesn't seem to compare - maybe I have a bad copy?

EDIT - Just noticed my (Skywatcher) one is the same as the one ZUL mentions a few posts before this one.. It is actually a rather nice unit and does the job really well.

Lucky enough to pick up a 2nd hand Ultima off here last year for £60 and am delighted with it. Had been using some generic un-named nasty before that and had no idea what I had been missing out on. I use it with a 12mm on my Vixen 4" when conditions allow (not very often!) and am amazed how good it is.

Archived