What eyepieces would be best ?

Hi everyone

I recently had a skywatcher 130 scope as a starter scope with three eyepieces, as i gather the 25mm is fairly good and clear but the 10mm and the 2x barlow leave a lot to be desired, could anyone recommend two new eyepieces for this scope as the ones supplied are not the best

Thanks all

Hi Lenny147, it's far too early for me to be making recommendations around here (I'm a complete noob) but if you look further down the front page you'll discover a whole forum dedicated to eyepieces. i'm sure you'll find much valuable advice there.

Dave

If you had a x2 Barlow, something like the Tal would be good at £36. To go with the 25mm you could add a 9mm and 7mm - TMB eyepieces come in those sizes and are around £37 each. That would give you x26 x52 x72 x93 x144 x186, quite a useful spread.

The supplied SW Barlow is terrible I thought. I agree the Tal x 2 would be a great investment and wont break the bank. The Tal is a keeper, I would not part with mine. As for eyepieces I would not like to recommend any as people differ greatly in opinions about them. My first ep upgrade was to Meade Super plossl`s and I noticed a great step up from the supplied ep`s. Research is the order of the day. Good luck.

Hi Lenny... the best ones.. are the ones that suit YOUR eyes..& viewing choices

The BST Explorers seem to be a good budget one as a step-up in quality...then there are the celestron X-cel LX which will work well in your 'scope...both have 60 deg view compared to the supplied 45deg... so the 22mm LX will show more than your 25mm & an 8mm BST will show more than your 10mm

• 2 weeks later...

I'd recommend the Celestron X-Cel LX, these are an excellent range great build quality and very good optics for the price.

As others have said a lot is down to personal choice, for example some people like Baader genuine orthoscopics, they are excellent optically but have poor eye relief and a tight Field of view; others like Baader Hyperians which are very versatile - you can buy fine tuning rings for them to get three different EP sizes out of one EP, they are also rear threaded so that you can attach a camera via t- thread and they can be used for astrophotography see if you can get the chance to try out a few at a star party or at a local society observing session.

Archived