Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

8mm BST

sticks

Had first light with my 8mm BST tonight and I am awed by the views, Jupiter the Moon and M42 were the first targets and, wow, they looked great. Considering the stock Celestron 9mm was useless on these targets, it goes to show what a difference a decent EP can make to your scope.

Had first light with my 8mm BST tonight and I am awed by the views, Jupiter the Moon and M42 were the first targets and, wow, they looked great. Considering the stock Celestron 9mm was useless on these targets, it goes to show what a difference a decent EP can make to your scope.

Interesting! I too had first light with BST 8mm last night but had mixed feelings about it. Close up on the moon it was excellent, but Jupiter had a halo type image, almost like a bright circle of light superimposed over Jupiter's disc? I couldn't get the detail I was expecting in terms of cloud bands either? Conditions were not good, and it was freezing cold, so I will give it another go when conditions permit, fingers x'ed :)

Interesting! I too had first light with BST 8mm last night but had mixed feelings about it. Close up on the moon it was excellent, but Jupiter had a halo type image, almost like a bright circle of light superimposed over Jupiter's disc? I couldn't get the detail I was expecting in terms of cloud bands either? Conditions were not good, and it was freezing cold, so I will give it another go when conditions permit, fingers x'ed :clouds1:

i have to say ,i noticed a tiny amount of purple to green colouring on jupiter too with the 12mm. i was thinking it was more my achromatic telescope not up to the mark,but noe youve mentioned it too ?:D

shall try again .

i have to say ,i noticed a tiny amount of purple to green colouring on jupiter too with the 12mm. i was thinking it was more my achromatic telescope not up to the mark,but noe youve mentioned it too ?:D

shall try again .

Hi, I get the 'purple haze' thing on Jupiter with most eyepieces, and it's CA causing it. The BST was showing a white halo type glare over the planets surface. After trying it again, I decided that my eyes weren't reacting too well to the 'large-eye' design of the BST. This is most likely peculiar to me, rather than a fault with the BST, so I may play safe in future & stick to Plossl type design. Alan at STL kindly agreed to exchange it for a different eyepiece for me. I wouldn't want this to put anyone off of the BST though, everyone else seems to love them, and my situation just seems to be bad luck :clouds1:

Interesting! I too had first light with BST 8mm last night but had mixed feelings about it. Close up on the moon it was excellent, but Jupiter had a halo type image, almost like a bright circle of light superimposed over Jupiter's disc? I couldn't get the detail I was expecting in terms of cloud bands either? Conditions were not good, and it was freezing cold, so I will give it another go when conditions permit, fingers x'ed :D

I noticed exactly this on my 5mm BST last night too...turned out it was just condensation on the glass. :cussing: A quick wipe down with the supplied cloth and it was a-ok.

I have to say, against nearly everyone's advice I opted for the 5mm for my 150PL, giving me a whopping 240x...I fully expected to be disappointed, but far from it! I achieved a very clean focus on Mars last night and was even able to pick out some faint detail. Jupiter, although quite low when I observed it, was the best I had seen it to date. Very happy. :clouds1:

Archived