Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron 6se -help - list of items I'm gonna buy

I've had the 6SE for 6 months and I love it...going to add to my collection and was told these are the best (after much research)...please let me know if you have other suggestions before I purchase...and thanks!

1) Power Tank 12

2) Hyperion Baader Click Zoom eyepiece

3) Celestron Filter Kit

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-94119-10-1-25-Eyepiece-Filter/dp/B00008Y0TP

4) cELESTRON LIGHT pOLLUTION fILTER

Celestron UHC/LPR Filter - 1.25 in - Accessories

5) Antares ND Filter - Moon Filter ND13

https://www.all-startelescope.com/sale

/product_info.php?products_id=143&osCsid=36f1d507f1930f36dcb2157a9afecf4b

6) Orion 6" Solar Filter

7) Celestron Erect Image 45 Diagonal 94112-A

8) Celestron Dew Shade

9) Camera or Video Camera adapter

I'm guessing the 45 diagonal will make the image right side up and correct left to right?

Let me know what you would or wouldn't buy...thanks!

Personally i find coloured filters a waste of time/cash.

A 45 degree erect prism ............is good if included with the scope you buy but really NOT needed.

Moon filters really aint needed............but i use one..............so that could a good buy.

I also use a Skywatcher Light Pollution Filter..................which makes a difference.

My 2p worth.

1) Power Tank - essential

2) Baader hyperion zoom - excellent choice

3) Don't buy filter kit (+ see below)

4) Delay LP filter (+ see below)

5) Don't buy ND filter which is also included in the filter kit you mentioned (+ see below)

6) Make your own solar filter from something like this or this

7) Save your money for a better 90 deg star diagonal (although not mandatory). Something like this?.

8) Dew shield essential. Make your own or (more expensive option) buy something like this.

9) Good idea (equipment depends on what DSLR you have). If using webcam try to get one that fits in 1.25" star diagonal - don't buy NexImage system - too expensive.

NB: In an SCT images are "the right way up". However, you won't be able to correct the mirror imaging. This is not a big problem. Just mirror your brain :D or, if not possible, buy kit like this.

Filters: Don't jump in and spend a lot of cash on kit you will rarely or never use. Filters that I've find useful are:

• Variable polarizing filter - great for moon (Antares do a good Canadian one!)
  • #82 light blue (or maybe a #80 blue) filter
  • That's about it. I am thinking of a LP or UHC-S filter but have not got round to it yet...

Additional kit I have found useful (YMMV) includes:

a) Dew Heater control unit and heater bands (something like this - not cheap but essential for an SCT)

:( Scope Coat (use a light kettle drum barbie coat from ebay, heavy coat like this better for more serious weather)

c) JMI Hand Control mounting bracket (expensive but handy)

d) Celestron Skylight filter for SCTs. Forms a good dust seal at the eyepiece end.

e) JMI carry case for telescope

f) Binocular viewer with 20mm and 10mm EPs

g) 40mm Plossl EP (something like this)

h) Some sort of observers chair/stool to suit your build

HTH

Thanks for the replies and Grunthos...wow dude...much appreciated for the ton of info....I'll get back to you once I have a chance to weed through it.

The Hyperion click zoom - I've heard a lot of good about it, and I'm glad so far everyone here hasn't said that it is ****!

Awesome

Grunthos - had a few questions:

If I use the Astro Safety Film, what do I buy to adapt to the end of the scope...or does it come with something? The reason i was looking at the Orion one is that it is protected by glass so that it doesn't damage and then kill your eyes.

I don't get the 45 or 90 degree diagonals...i was told that to correct the image all I would need is the 45 diagonal...but maybe not?

Thanks

If I use the Astro Safety Film, what do I buy to adapt to the end of the scope...or does it come with something? The reason i was looking at the Orion one is that it is protected by glass so that it doesn't damage and then kill your eyes.

You buy the (flexible) film and make your own filter. Typical instructions found here (download the pdf at bottom of page).

Easy to construct and film is perfectly safe if correct precautions taken (ditto with any solar filter).

Much cheaper than glass!.

See attached picture for the filter I use on my 6SE (took it to work one day to show collegues a partial solar eclipse).

I don't get the 45 or 90 degree diagonals...i was told that to correct the image all I would need is the 45 diagonal...but maybe not?

You can get different flavours of 45 and 90 diagonal. I'm going to pass the buck and refer you to Wikipedia :)

post-31088-1338777259_thumb.jpg

Hi there,

Yeah it's a great scope.

I'd say definately get a dew shield.

I got the Astrozap dew shield for mine rather than make one, it's a personal choice, but I think it looks better than a DIY job (especially when you consider the price of a 6SE)

Not much in it for a dew shield or a powertank (you'll know by now that the scope gets through batteries?) Plus weak batteries don't help with accurate GOTO.

I've just purchased a solar filter.

But I live in Scotland so not sure if it was a wise investment or not ? :)

Neil

I would get advice on which ND filter is best for the 6SE, as one that is too strong may make the image too dim.

Get the AstroZap dual channel dew heater controller, you can then add up to four heater tapes - scope, eyepiece, finder front and back. That should keep things nice and clear on even the worst nights for dew. Might want to run this on a separate battery if you're planning on extended observing sessions.

Dew shield is pretty much essential. Some nights you can get away without the heater tapes, just depends on conditions.

Does the 6SE come with a finder scope or red dot finder? Might want to look into a small finder to compliment the red dot, there should be screw holes available to fit one.

Seek advice but you may also like to consider a 2" diagonal, this will open up things like the 38mm wide field eyepeices, great for Orion and Pleiades. Not sure what the 6SE has on it's back. Make sure you are not going to unbalance the scope though, 38mm eyepieces are big and heavy!

I had a question: The 6se uses a 1.25 size eyepiece...does it make ANY sense to go to a 2" eyepiece and adapter?

Also I was wondering...can I use 2 filters on top of one another...for example if i get the light pollution filter and a #80 blue filter...can i use both at the same time...or is it just one or the other?

Thansk

Archived