How often collimation???

Hi everyone,

I have a celestron 130eq reflector and was just wondering about collimation. Should this be done from time to time as a precautionary or is it something that should only be done as and when needed?

Thanks in advance.

D.C

only when needed but a star test will tell if its needed. I had a 150 mm and it only rarely needed it unless you're battering it around the place. Recently found the barlowed laser technique to be boon in terms of ease of collimation. You probably won't need it because you can look into the focusser and adjust the primary knobs simultaneously.

Good luck.

Barry

In my case, I tweak collimation after my scope cools down at the start of the observing session. I retouch collimation after pointing the scope any object that includes intricate details to ensure optimal performance.

Jason

Faster 'scopes (i.e. wider aperture in a shorter tube, giving a lower f-number) need collimation more often than slower 'scopes. Fast 'scopes aren't really ideal for beginners, as there's a steep enough learning curve just making the darn thing point in the right direction, never mind adjusting fiddly optics. But collimation is a very useful telescopy skill to learn, and it's not too difficult.

Archived