First scope advice for complete newbie

I am a complete beginner to astronomy, but like countless others my interest has been fuelled by the recent “Stargazing Live” programme. I have always had a fascination with the night sky, and would now like to develop this interest further. I have read various forums etc, and now feel ready to purchase my first telescope. However, the more I read, the more confused I get ! To begin with I would like to view the moon in reasonable detail, and also see Venus & Saturn. I would like a scope which will then allow me to progress as my knowledge (hopefully) increases! From my research I have narrowed things down to the following scopes, which are both a similar price and fit into my budget of around £150. The first is the Skywatcher Heritage 130P, and the second is the Skywatcher Explorer 130/130P. I realise they are different types of scope, and I would like to know which you would recommend. I have also considered the Skyliner 150 dob, but wondered if this may be too large to store. I would welcome your advice. Thank you.

Both the scopes you mention are essentially the same quality optically. If you plan to do any kind of imaging then the Explorer 130P would be the one to go for. If not then the Heritage is a very good choice.

The Skyliner 150 should not be too large as to take up a lot of space.

p.s.~~"astrology"

?????

You are in trouble now.

LOL.

welcome to sgl. As you are new I at least will forgive the the astrology misspelling.

The 2x 130p scopes are the same optics so optically there is no difference. the 150p dobsonian is slightly larger so gives slightly better views. My guess is that you will get hooked and want to upgrade at some point at which point all of them will be too small. As space is at a premium get the 130p heritage it's much the smallest scope and easy to put away in a cupboard then when you upgrade you have a nice little scope for your holidays. the 150p dob takes up no more floorspace than the 130p explorer. whichever of the 3 scopes you choose all are fine entry level scopes with the 150p dob giving the best views. All of the scopes will show saturns rings, jupiter and 4 of its moons, the moon. mars and a few nebulae. venus will show up as a featureless disc whatever scope you get.

Storage space is a moot point. You could live in a flat in London with just enough room for the basics. Or a detached house in Cumbria with acres of space to play with.

So if your very limited to space, the heritage range is the way to go. If your more fortunate than some then as big a dob as you can get is the alternative

Welcome to SGL. Have fun!!

Both the scopes you mention are essentially the same quality optically. If you plan to do any kind of imaging then the Explorer 130P would be the one to go for. If not then the Heritage is a very good choice.

The Skyliner 150 should not be too large as to take up a lot of space.

p.s.~~"astrology"

?????

You are in trouble now.

LOL.

It's also a telescope that will grow with you. I found it excellent on a EQ3 mount, and now I'm finding it's a beast on a EQ6. The dob is it naked but still a telescope to be reckoned with.

Thank you for all the helpful replies (and for being gentle with me over the typo !). All things considered, the Heritage 130P may be my best bet. We have a caravan in the Lake District, hence my question about storage. However, I do want to try and balance this with getting the best I can for the money I have available.

Archived