Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Cloudy Orion

Once again the clouds defeat me.I had hoped to get an hour or so's worth of shots with the Merlin mount but ended up with this single exposure before the clouds covered everything.

Exif says it was 96 seconds but i think i cut it short due to cloud.

IMG_6331flickr.jpg

Very atmospheric (pun intend). I like photos like this. I think they say more then the perfect technical shot. The clouds give some scale and make it look more real (bring the observer in to the picture)

I feel I must ask what is probably a very noobie question: why is Betelgeuse so large in the photo?

Very atmospheric (pun intend). I like photos like this. I think they say more then the perfect technical shot. The clouds give some scale and make it look more real (bring the observer in to the picture)

I feel I must ask what is probably a very noobie question: why is Betelgeuse so large in the photo?

I asked myself that question too and i'll be perfectly honest,i've not a clue.

I havent used any star enhancement software or fiddled around with them in photoshop so the only thing i can think of that might

cause it is there could have been very thin hazy cloud which makes the stars look "fatter" and cause the light to scatter more than it would otherwise.

Rigel and to a lesser degree Alnitak also look to have been on steroids.

Thats probably a load of waffle so perhaps someone with a bit more techie knowledge than me could set us straight on this one.

Hey Stewart that turned out great, the clouds really add to the picture. Whats the Merlin mount?

This little baby here. I never use it enough and must make more of an effort with it. Once you get the hang of aligning it can be done accurately enough,especially if you make a mask with a small hole in the center to get the alignment star in the middle of the lens,to get 3 minute widefield shots without any obvious trailing.Its also good for pan and tilt time lapse photography.

First Light Optics - Merlin

Thanks a lot Stewart, i like the look of that mount! It reminds me of the Mini Orion mount or whatever it was/is called, a nice and portable widefield setup, might have to get me one! Look forward to seeing some more pictures using it from you :icon_salut:

Jamie

Really nice picture, love how Betelgeuse really looks like a ball of fire.

I was speaking to someone the other day who said you could get a filter to slightly blur the stars, but you seem to have the same effect without it.

Just wondering whether the skies were very light polluted where you took the image?

Really nice picture, love how Betelgeuse really looks like a ball of fire.

I was speaking to someone the other day who said you could get a filter to slightly blur the stars, but you seem to have the same effect without it.

Just wondering whether the skies were very light polluted where you took the image?

Its actually a very dark site,LM of 7 and a few miles further into the hills and you have the darkest skies that you can get, however there are a few villages and towns to the southeast of the location and Orion happened to be right over them and the cloud was very low so it really glowed orange.2 hours later and orion would have been well away from them and there would have been no LP.

That's another stunning image that I love.

This little baby here. I never use it enough and must make more of an effort with it. Once you get the hang of aligning it can be done accurately enough,especially if you make a mask with a small hole in the center to get the alignment star in the middle of the lens,to get 3 minute widefield shots without any obvious trailing.Its also good for pan and tilt time lapse photography.

First Light Optics - Merlin

This mount looks interesting, but how would it be different (or better) to using say an EQ5 pro mount?

That's another stunning image that I love.

This mount looks interesting, but how would it be different (or better) to using say an EQ5 pro mount?

It isnt better than a EQ5 but its lighter.I do a lot of my photography well away from any roads so i dont fancy carrying a EQ5 and tripod

a mile or 2 into the hills.The Merlin fits nicely in back pack and only weighs 2.9kgs and i've adapted it to fit on my camera tripod.

So all i have to do to get set up is fit the mount to the tripod,level the spirit level bubble and then do a 2 star alignment with the GoTo

control.10 Mins max and thats me up and running.The fact i'm using a wide angle lens means alignment isnt quite so critical.

I've tried my 100-300 lens on it and it isnt quite so forgiving at those magnifications but like i said,for widefield i find it ideal.

It isnt better than a EQ5 but its lighter.I do a lot of my photography well away from any roads so i dont fancy carrying a EQ5 and tripod

a mile or 2 into the hills.The Merlin fits nicely in back pack and only weighs 2.9kgs and i've adapted it to fit on my camera tripod.

So all i have to do to get set up is fit the mount to the tripod,level the spirit level bubble and then do a 2 star alignment with the GoTo

control.10 Mins max and thats me up and running.The fact i'm using a wide angle lens means alignment isnt quite so critical.

I've tried my 100-300 lens on it and it isnt quite so forgiving at those magnifications but like i said,for widefield i find it ideal.

That makes sence. Well you've inspired me to get out there and try some widefield, I just need some clear skies and a dark spot!

Thanks

Archived