Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Compass

also what is the best viewfinder to get?.

Cornelius i am so new to this i have no idea what i am doing. i am trying to get the correct set up proceedure....... i am the most beginner beginner and just want to enjoy using it without getting annoyed that i can't do it.

also what is the best viewfinder to get?.

Cornelius i am so new to this i have no idea what i am doing. i am trying to get the correct set up proceedure....... i am the most beginner beginner and just want to enjoy using it without getting annoyed that i can't do it.

Roughly North is good enough, you don't need to be terribly accurate.

Use Google maps to work out which way is "up" on the map, that's North :)

a cheap compass will do from an out doors store. this will help you find north. then all you need to do is use your polar scope to find polaris in the nights sky. north alignment can be close no need to be bang on for a newcomer.

viewfinders come in all shapes and forms, but the most popular seems to be a Telrad finder. it projects circles onto the nights sky and no need to strain eyes or re-focus the finder.

being a newcomer is the best part about it, everything you see will be for the first time. set your scope up outside and just star hop. point scope to a bright object and go from there. other things that are useful will be, a planetarium, on here most use one called stellarium it is a free download, and will help you spot what you see in the nights sky. another one is on android called google skymap also free.

do not waste to much time setting up, start viewing then as you become more comfy with the scope, look towards the more finer setting up and aligning of scope.

if you have a android phone (dont know about iphone) theres a app called google skymaps its a great bit of kit especially if you hold it to your scope to use as a guide you will find polaris in a snip you can also make everything in red so it will save you night vision i recomend setting it up indoors before hand tho :)

if you have a android phone (dont know about iphone) theres a app called google skymaps its a great bit of kit especially if you hold it to your scope to use as a guide you will find polaris in a snip you can also make everything in red so it will save you night vision i recomend setting it up indoors before hand tho :)

On the Iphone, the app is called STAR WALK . It is similar to Skymaps (Android).

On the Iphone there is also a compass app.

wait until 12pm on a nice sunny day, see where the sun is and the opposite side is north.

Plus at the same time plant a vertical stake in the ground and draw on your patio along the line of it's shadow for a permanent reference point to place the tripods front foot - as I did :)

Archived