Greetings from Sheffield

Stars Fall

Hello stargazers, my name is Hasanain and I am from Sheffield, I had a passion for astronomy since childhood, never owned a telescope before. Two months ago after going back to my apartment at night and seeing the Orion constellation in all its glory, I decided that I need something to look at heavens. :)

I will be posting in beginners forum for a first scope advice.

Looking forward to meet you all.

Thanks

Hasanain

Thank you guys, anyone from the forum going to the SGL event at the Sheffield Astronomical Society tonight? this will be my first time going there, and I will be going with a friend of mine, it is a good chance to meet new people and ask for advice. though the the weather forecast is not promising tonight :).

P.S This forum is addictive:)

Hi Hasanain, Yes i did go to the SAS event, but found it over run with young children, but i guess it was a family event, it seemed well organised, but over subscribed, which is good to spread the word, and that is what the event was all about. We did get told by one guy to "come back later after 9 and it will be quiet and you will get more info then" we did go back, but found all the public gone, and just the SAS membership left, we did not get the info that we was after, and did get the feeling that SAS maybe is not the group for us, but then i guess strangers turning up late in the dark asking what was going on? what can you see? and getting totally ignored by all, did not put me in the best frame of mind. Not the best impression of a group that we was looking to join.

Hi mcsheffield, I went too, its unfortunate we didn't run into each other, but as you have said, it was way too crowded and probably more aimed at public rather than amateurs.

I did have a chat with Darren and Jeff, nice chaps, I think they were overwhelmed by all kids (including myself:p), I wouldn't really pass judgment at this point because of the nature of the event itself.

Anyway this was my first star gazing event and I enjoined it. I live around S3 and by the time i buy my first scope (in the course of the upcoming weeks) I think we should actually meet for star gazing:). If you haven't bought a telescope yet, we may be able to discuss our options more thoroughly so drop me a PM if u are interested:)

Kind Regards

Hasanain

Archived