Airsport

Hi everyone!

I am new to astronomy and have recenty been Inspired by all the stargazing live activities (Well done the BBC!).

Being fortunate to be nearly reaching early retirement, I have happily invested in a set of Quantum 7.4 25x50 Binos which are superb and now look forward to many hours of seeing what is above my head at night (and for daytime ship viewing as well).

I thought it might be worth mentioning that for any prospective buyer of the Quantum 7.4s, the supplied case is of appaling quality

with each of the 3 handles snapping off in turn when attempting

to lift the case - Not good!

Does anyone know where to get a good case from for these Binos?

maybe a wooden case of metal flight case type?

Many thanks

Jon

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry about this but i've had to piggy back on someone else's post as I couldn'd find the new post thing :) (female AND blonde) :)

I'm about to take the plunge and buy my first telescope (hopefully a Skyhawk 1145p ) but I'd like to know if I can attach my Canon digital SLR camera to it... Can advice would be greatly appreciated

Janie :)

Sorry about this but i've had to piggy back on someone else's post as I couldn'd find the new post thing :) (female AND blonde) :)

I'm about to take the plunge and buy my first telescope (hopefully a Skyhawk 1145p ) but I'd like to know if I can attach my Canon digital SLR camera to it... Can advice would be greatly appreciated

Janie :)

You probably could with the appropriate T-ring and nosepiece.

First Light Optics - T Rings

First Light Optics - FLO 1.25-inch T mount camera adapter

Although, if you are getting the Skyhawk on the EQ1 mount First Light Optics - Skywatcher Skyhawk 1145P, you just need to be aware that the mount does not have a motor drive, so it won't automatically following an object across the sky. I've never used an EQ1 so I'm not sure how well it could cope with the extra weight of a camera attached.

And er, welcome to SGL! :(

Hi everyone!

I am new to astronomy and have recenty been Inspired by all the stargazing live activities (Well done the BBC!).

Being fortunate to be nearly reaching early retirement, I have happily invested in a set of Quantum 7.4 25x50 Binos which are superb and now look forward to many hours of seeing what is above my head at night (and for daytime ship viewing as well).

I thought it might be worth mentioning that for any prospective buyer of the Quantum 7.4s, the supplied case is of appaling quality

with each of the 3 handles snapping off in turn when attempting

to lift the case - Not good!

Does anyone know where to get a good case from for these Binos?

maybe a wooden case of metal flight case type?

Many thanks

Jon

Can't help you on the flight case, but you may be interested to know that one of our regulars is developing a website aimed at astronomy using binoculars: http://binocularsky.com/binoc_about.php

Welcome to SGL :)

Hello all, new member here.

I'm also piggy backing because I'm sending from my Xoom pad and I can't find any other way of getting involved with any conversations.

Anyway, I have a Meade LX90 8" and 90mm Explore. Not done any major photography yet but planning a community stargazing live event for Saturday 28th in Edenbridge, Kent, so might try then.

Regards to all

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk

Firstly hi to Jon and welcome to the forum. Very nice binos by the way but I have heard others comment on the case as well but can't recall any solutions. Will have a dig around to what I can find!

Hi as well to GJ1961 and welcome to you as well to this great forum. I take it the number in your tag might be an important year of your birth - had the same idea in my own tag but it doesn't conform to the age of my behaviour - so everyone keeps reminding me! Nice aperture on your scope so you will be able to resolve plenty of detail. Steve Richards "Making Every Photon Count" (FLO £19.95) is a really good book to get you started as it will tell you all you need and why you need it to obtain the level of imaging that you are after. Modestly priced and will probably save you money in helping you plan a realistic budget which will also take into account the needs of processing the captured data.

Clear skies guys

James

Archived