Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Seems Pricey to Me?

Craig20264

What is happening here is "position holding". The way eBay works now with "best match" is it looks at how many of a certain listing you have sold in the past 7 days, this then weights the value in best match, so the more you have sold of a particular item, the higher up the search results you go. As a result, when you are out of stock of something, rather than pull the listing down, some sellers raise the price to a point at which nobody would buy it. This saves the place in best match so that when stock arrives they can reduce the price back down without losing the place.

This practice is common place, but is frowned upon by eBay. I never have and never will use this tactic as it can be counter productive, but many people do use it.

Hope that shines a little light on the subject, that's why the other day there was a scope (I forget which one now) at around £1,799 instead of less than £100. eBay has a habbit of hitting sellers with very big sticks, and for some sellers it is their livelyhood as more and more businesses soley trade via eBay.

Amazon are selling a kiddies radio control helicoper for £13 yet on E bay a seller is asking £94 for the same one. I emailed him telling him of his 'error' and got a real stinker of a reply. The moral of the story is CHECK and double check.

What is happening here is "position holding". The way eBay works now with "best match" is it looks at how many of a certain listing you have sold in the past 7 days, this then weights the value in best match, so the more you have sold of a particular item, the higher up the search results you go. As a result, when you are out of stock of something, rather than pull the listing down, some sellers raise the price to a point at which nobody would buy it. This saves the place in best match so that when stock arrives they can reduce the price back down without losing the place.

This practice is common place, but is frowned upon by eBay. I never have and never will use this tactic as it can be counter productive, but many people do use it.

Hope that shines a little light on the subject, that's why the other day there was a scope (I forget which one now) at around £1,799 instead of less than £100. eBay has a habbit of hitting sellers with very big sticks, and for some sellers it is their livelyhood as more and more businesses soley trade via eBay.

One of many "bedroom" sellers that use this tactic

Just keeps him/her high up in the page rank while they wait for the next shipment from China

One of many "bedroom" sellers that use this tactic

Just keeps him/her high up in the page rank while they wait for the next shipment from China

It's not just "bedroom" sellers that use that tactic :)

I get annoyed at people who use the phrase "bedroom seller" in a negative way tbh, it makes no difference where the business is based, it's the people who run it that make a business good or bad :)

Archived