NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

There are times when you realise you're a Dummy

RobH

:):o:o:o:o

Like when your custom made CNC tube rings arrive and you realise that you measured your OTA wrong.......an II inch Edge HD OTA is in fact 960mm diameter, not 975......excuse me while I bang my head against the wall :D

I can foresee some extra padding being used!!

Rob

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh yes! :D I'm a Dummy too sometimes. Was cutting some wood yesterday with my mitre bench saw and couldn't understand why my pieces didn't come out square then I noticed that it wasn't quite on zero angle but 2 degrees, from when I cut the warm room roof bits where the slope is 2 degrees. :)

Can I ask permission to join the society of those who can't measure?

I'm (slowly) building a truss Newtonian, and recently test assembled everything to check measurements. All the trusses, the spider, the wynne corrector and focuser.

For some reason nothing made sense, till it dawned on me that the whole thing had been designed around the optical focal length, not the physical length. The Wynne has a factor of 0.95, and I'd built everything about this.

The trusses have all now been re-made. Luckily, I'd made temporary patterns from waste pipe. It would have been a lot worse if they were the real ones from carbon fibre, not to mention if I'd started work on the fork mount.

Confessions are good for the soul.

Huw

Are you bringing the Edge to SGL Rob?

Probably not Martin as the HEQ5 will be used for imaging with the 80mm scopes. It's not up to imaging with the Edge and I'm not bringing the AP1200.

Visually, we'll have Kevin's old 12 inch LB.

Hi Rob, Yes made a few silly's before now - if I have something like that to do I tend (now) to wrap a strip of paper round the tube and mark across both ends, measure the distance between the marks and divide by pi... Makes a good confirmation if nothing else

Brian at Astroparts wanted the circumference.

Lacking a tape measure, I wrapped a piece of string around the tube and marked it, then measured that. Problem was I think, that I didn't have my reading glasses on and simply read it wrong (my eyes get worse almost daily for reading)....not to worry though, it's less than a 5mm error in diameter, so should be easy enough to fix with some padding.

Note to self.....go to the opticians!!

I'm glad it's not just me. I am totally ruddy useless at measuring and hate doing it.

One Godsend is a digital Vernier guage. I first saw one about 20 years ago when they cost a bomb but now they are cheap as chips amd I have one. Next thing, I'll need one with a speaking voice for when I can't even read the display screen...

Olly

PS I wonder if those who are unable to measure are also those, like me, who cannot find things. My last boss, the lovely and forgiving Sue Hudson, would sometimes jump in before I asked her something and say, 'Is this a where's me... question?' It invariably was a 'where's me ' question but I rarely admitted it. She knew, of course. They do. How do they do that?

Model shops stock rubberised cork sheeting in various thicknesses... it can be stuck together using contact adhesive...

Remember the onion layer effect though and stick the layers together it in place rather than as a flat sheet...

If your stuck locally I have a load here (the cork sheet rather than the glue)

Peter...

I can never find things - unless I'm looking for something else. I was looking for my case of computer CDs & DVDs so I can put XP back on a machine I converted entirely to Linux a few years back. Found my nail gun and camcorder that I've been unable to find for ages! And a few other things. :) Did I find my PC discs - nope!

305.5774907451731mm ....approximately Ron :)

Crikey Rob. all them decimal places :).

I got some made for my 190mn by Parallax Rings in the US. as recommended by Daz. Not cheap, but by Gum, solid as a Brick thingy.

-

My old rings I'll take to Lucksall to place on the Bring and Buy Stall, along with a pair of Vixen type ADM clamps and a D/Tail bar.

A few other bits and bobs.

Archived