8 days to go..

K3ny0n

This month is really dragging.

There's really only one reason for it to drag like this and it's because at the end of the month I am finally purchasing my scope!

Ive been watching BBC Stargazing Live tonight and watching it just made me want to get out there even more.

I stepped outside and noticed Jupiter nice and bright in the sky, I must of been sat out the back garden for about a hour just looking up. :D

Anyway, I've finally decided to dig a tad bit deeper in my pocket and go for the Skywatcher Explorer 200p, maybe with the Synscan. Undecided about that at the moment.

25/01/2012 only 8 more days to go, or 192 hours or even 11520 minutes.

Rob.

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum. The 200p is a great start and is one of the most popular scopes. An 8" aperture will resolve plenty of detail to keep you busy for sure. As far as mounts go, I wouldn't rush into that for now as it depends on what you want to do in astronomy. If it is imaging, then the HEQ5 Equatorial mount) is really the starting point if you are after images of galaxies and nebula. Planets and the moon can be captured using a simple webcam because their brightness requires very little exposure time and therefore accurate tracking. If its just observing then a sturdy mount is essential which can include a dobsonian base the represents the cheapest option.

Wishing you clear skies for the end of the month!

James

I think for the beginning I'll just be observing, but as time go by it's almost certain I will want to explore imaging.

I've been looking at the SW with the EQ5 mount is there much difference between that and the HEQ5?

Rob

Pick up a second hand eq5 learn the ropes and decide then what you want to do visual/imaging then you can sell the mount on and you haven't lost anything if you decide you want to take the imaging more seriously

You can do lunar/planetary imaging with a webcam on a motor driven eq5 and your scope

The heq5 is a big step up in quality as well over the eq5. I've had both and they are worlds apart

well lets hope for plenty of clear skies for the end of jan and feb.

i know how you feel, i got my scope at the the end of nov but wasnt allowed it till christmas :0 shocking i know, i thought i was going to burst. worst few weeks EVER!! lol.

good luck and clear skies

Archived