Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Hyperion Eps

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi thanks for the link just so I'm reading that correctly with the 1.25" removed all the eps become roughly a 22mm? And adding a 2" filter changes the mm I assume that a 1.25" filter doesn't would that be correct?

Still being new I still haven't got my head around everything yet

<quickly erases stuff> Ooops, talking to cross purposes. The REMOVAL of the 1.25" nose-piece is different question. The upper section of the Eyepiece will indeed function (somewhat) as a 2" eyepiece of long focal length. A useful stop-gap, rather than a quality 2" eyepiece. You can also change the separation between the top and bottom elements, to achieve other focal lengths. If someone doesn't beat me to it, I'll add the canonical documentation... :)

http://www.baader-planetarium.com/pdf/hyperion_brief_description_e.pdf

The ftr's are "fine tuning rings" that alter the focal length of the eyepiece giving you 3 eyepieces in one (as stated above). They are all photo friendly in that you can get the step down ring that attaches to the ep on one side and a T-ring on the other - making it easy to put a dslr camera on the end of it. :)

It's worth doing some research on Hyperions and how they work with fast scopes - there may be better options if edge sharpness is important to you.

With the 1.25" nosepiece removed the resulting 22mm will show lots of astigmatism in the outer 25% of the field of view with an F/4.7 scope.

Don't get me wrong, I like Hyperions a lot in scopes slower than F/6 but I'm not convinced they are the best option for £90 apiece in fast scopes.

Apologies for daft question, but can someone tell me what the calculation is for working out if your scope is fast or slow? I am virtually ready to slap some money on the table and get the Baader Hyperions. I have done my research and the results are in.

Well this is my first week with my scope and I still don't really have a clue what I'm doing but I'm getting there slowly. I've got a couple of hyperions because they were recommended. At present I'm not skilled enough to notice any optical deficiencies but I do really like the design and how versitile they are. I'm going to buy the click stop and camera adapters for them I think as they seem like a really neat way to connect cameras. I'm only going to use them as 1.25"s

Apologies for daft question, but can someone tell me what the calculation is for working out if your scope is fast or slow? I am virtually ready to slap some money on the table and get the Baader Hyperions. I have done my research and the results are in.

My 24mm hyperion is lovely in my 127 Mak (=very slow f/11.8), but much less good in my f/5 dob.

Andrew

I'd have the following candidates on my list:

Vixen NPL's

Celestron X-Cel LX's

GSO or Tele Vue Plossls

Baader Genuine Orthos

William Optics SPL's

Used Skywatcher Nirvana's

BST Explorers

The above have their own quirks and pros and cons of course but they seem to offer excellent light transmission, contrast, sharpness and are reasonably well corrected for use in fast scopes.

I'm sure this list could be extended though :)

They work very badly in fast scopes. Astigmatic as hell. There're better eyepieces for the money if you're <f/6.

When you say these are astigmatic as hell how does this manifest itself? As with my limited experience I've no issue focussing the objects in view but I freely admit that I have no frame of reference by which to compare the performance. I've just started out in this adventure called astronomy and I think it may be a while before I understand what makes a difference and why.

My Hyperion-8 24mm arrived couple of days back, this afternoon had some clear skys, around 16:30 Jupiter showed its self and looking through the 24mm gave nice clear bands all 4 moons used the Reverlation 2X barlow and still crisp clear view, compared to the SW 28mm a lot more contrast and sharper view, a bit later looking at Almaar the Hyperion split the 2 stars not a big gap but a clear defined gap, better gap with the barlow still sharp crisp view, the SW 28mm could see the blue but join to the main star, this would be the 24 verses 28mm, happy i brought the lens its appears well built and feels solid, so i'm thinking 13 or 8mm next so far no astigmatism, not sure if it would show more in a more powerful lens (13/8mm) ???

Yes, it looked like what John showed. Maybe worse. I remember that the 13 mm Hyperion looked as bad as the cheapo 3 element "Plossl" that came with my scope at the time. Instead of pin-point stars you see a blur. It's pretty obvious, you don't need lots of eyepiece time to notice it. I switched to Explore Scientific 82 degree eyepieces after that. When on sale, they cost the same as the Hyperions but perform almost as well as a Nagler. Can't complain.

Archived