Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Xbox Livecam Mod (Cliff)

gdheib0430

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its easy to miss stuff on this thread - here is the link to those IR-filter / nosepiece adapter combos.... Not tried them myself but they seem like the right mix of useful and cheap.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Webcam-Adaptor-Fit-1-25-Eyepiece-Tube-Holder-Built-in-Filter-Brand-New-/140902831473?_trksid=p2047675.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555001%26algo%3DPW.CURRENT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D29%26meid%3D6063955342983740510%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D1013%26rk%3D2%26sd%3D271165026001%26

Also, this wont be there long but a spc900nc is going here still only £30 at time of posting...http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Philips-SPC900nc-Webcam-for-Astrophotography-/271165026001?pt=UK_Photography_Telescopes&hash=item3f22b1eed1 Good luck!

Another link to the nosepieces but with a separate quality IR filter sold together at a reasonable price....http://astronomia.co.uk/alt-irb-125-wcadpt.html?gclid=CKHu1aW86bUCFc3HtAodoQ4AmA

Some useful programs and stuff.....http://webcamastronomy.com/software.html

Another useful link regarding webcam astronomy...http://webcamastronomy.com/software.html

HTH :)

Regards

Aenima

just a quicky , I have ordered to Xbox cams (one as spare) and a 1.25" IR filter from Ebay.

Am I right in saying that once the new IR filter is in place , I dont need to attach anythig else?, I just drop that into the focuser on my scope?

just a quicky , I have ordered to Xbox cams (one as spare) and a 1.25" IR filter from Ebay.

Am I right in saying that once the new IR filter is in place , I dont need to attach anythig else?, I just drop that into the focuser on my scope?

Pretty much yeah - the scope is then a lens. However, if you can use a barlow inbetween it gives you bigger and more detailed images. (you will need an adapter/nosepiece to screw the filter into and this slots into the focuser) hth

Regards

Aenima

I'm not sure if anyone has suggested this yet, but you can remove the base to minimize weight quite easily. On the bottom you just remove the stickers and rubber to reveal some hidden screws, then just take the base apart to free the wires. It has weights in the bottom to help it stand, so if you're using it on a telescope you won't need the base anyway.

I have finally succumed to this thread, purchased the cam, nose piece and filter, conversion took less than 10 minutes. All tested and ready to go. I'm hoping to get an image of comet panstarrs........If the clouds will clear.

I have finally succumed to this thread, purchased the cam, nose piece and filter, conversion took less than 10 minutes. All tested and ready to go. I'm hoping to get an image of comet panstarrs........If the clouds will clear.

I will be happy if I only see it lol

Jim

I will also be happy just to see it.

You'll struggle to get an image with a webcam - especially as it will be low in the sky and not that big - they are more for the brighter objects like jupiter and the moon. Still as with everything else xbox related there's no harm in defying the odds and trying anyway :D

Regards

Aenima

I will also be happy just to see it.

You'll struggle to get an image with a webcam - especially as it will be low in the sky and not that big - they are more for the brighter objects like jupiter and the moon. Still as with everything else xbox related there's no harm in defying the odds and trying anyway :D

Regards

Aenima

I don't think my chances will be very high seeing as I've not imaged anything with it yet, but you never know I might get lucky. :grin: Forever the optimist.

I don't think my chances will be very high seeing as I've not imaged anything with it yet, but you never know I might get lucky. :grin: Forever the optimist.

Good stuff. :)

Just re-read my post, its meant to be the webcam chip is small not the comet! ;)

It'll hopefully be my 1st sighting so theres every reason to have a try, people have had luck with a basic camera + lens - there will always be ISON later this year :D

Best of luck

Regards

Aenima

Silly question of the day.

If i want 5v to power the fan which is going to cool my peltier can i just run it directly from a usb port? The fan says its 5VDC 1.18W

I was planning to just cut the end off a usb cable ive got spare and after finding which wires give 5v on my volt meter just use them. Then stick it in a usb port on my computer or maybe use an old apple plug

Is this going to work?

Paul

I have 'moded' one of these webcams but the image is just out of focus with the focuser racked all the way in. Was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and how to get around it?

Which telescope are you using?

Perhaps a silly question - but you might find you have the opposite problem - you need to rack the focuser all the way out, in which case rather than inserting the nose-piece all the way, insert it just enough for the eye piece holder's thumb screws to hold it. On my setup that lets me get a few more cm of focus travel. I needed to do this for some testing (just for short range terrestrial targets if memory serves).

If you're right about needing to get the camera a little further in, perhaps a low profile nose-piece adapter will be needed for your setup? Another option, if it is just a few mm needed, might be to switch the M12 board lens mount on the webcam to a lower profile one. Unless you've got a box of spare webcams that might be a challenge though.

I had the same problem when I modded an SPC900 for my LXD75. If it's only a couple of mm out of focus, you can fix it by using the scope's collimation screws to move the primary nearer to the secondary. Do this with the scope pointing upwards, in case the mirror comes off the screws. Also remember that you'll have to re-collimate the scope afterwards.

Noel

I have 'moded' one of these webcams but the image is just out of focus with the focuser racked all the way in. Was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and how to get around it?

Your best bet would be a barlow, it'll bring the point of focus back as well as improving the level of detail and image size without needing to adjust the mirror. Planetary imaging nearly always benefits from a good barlow lens.

Best of luck

Regards

Aenima

Your best bet would be a barlow, it'll bring the point of focus back as well as improving the level of detail and image size without needing to adjust the mirror. Planetary imaging nearly always benefits from a good barlow lens.

Best of luck

Regards

Aenima

I have a camera that is a fairly basic thing that is just too large to fit into a cheapo barlow. So i am going too carefully, using a dremmel type tool take off about 0.5mm off the inside of it all round to see if this will provide me with the ultimate in lightwieght basic imaging kits. I did some long exposure imaging with it of the moon the other night and one of the results was quite pleasing, so i am fairly hopeful of getting something half decent and if not, the barlow is one of three cheap jobs surplus to requirements anyway so wth, its all part of the learning curve.

I have a camera that is a fairly basic thing that is just too large to fit into a cheapo barlow. So i am going too carefully, using a dremmel type tool take off about 0.5mm off the inside of it all round to see if this will provide me with the ultimate in lightwieght basic imaging kits. I did some long exposure imaging with it of the moon the other night and one of the results was quite pleasing, so i am fairly hopeful of getting something half decent and if not, the barlow is one of three cheap jobs surplus to requirements anyway so wth, its all part of the learning curve.

Hmm, not sure of the details but would be interested in learning more.

What kind of camera is it, and how long is your long exposure images? Usually the moon doesnt need long exposures, although experimenting with an imaging set up that can do longer exposures (30sec is a good length to aim for) is always worth a shot. :)

If its cool can u post an update if there is any progress on that?

Regards

Aenima

Hmm, not sure of the details but would be interested in learning more.

What kind of camera is it, and how long is your long exposure images? Usually the moon doesnt need long exposures, although experimenting with an imaging set up that can do longer exposures (30sec is a good length to aim for) is always worth a shot. :)

If its cool can u post an update if there is any progress on that?

Regards

Aenima

I am going to give the modding a go this weekend, I shall take a few pics of what I am doing and show you the camera and so lets see how that part goes and the moon shot, well as soon as i see the flipping thing, lol :grin:

Archived