SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Xbox Livecam Mod (Cliff)

gdheib0430

didn't 'cliff' manage 20 seconds exposure using it on a Linux setup, several pages back now

Its unlikely to get long exposure from an unmodified xbox cam, although the camera I discussed with baz is a point and shoot. Sorry, the length of thread and varied stuff thats modded gets off topic now and then :p

Apologies for the confusing posts.

Regards

Aenima

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ahh, yeah this thread gets confusing and i'm always going off topic about one thing or another so that doesnt help much.

I think the xbox will need the soldering and circuit mod to get long exp but to go to the trouble someone would likely put the work into a cam with a better chip. The xbox is popular for its price and ease of use though it doesnt mean a mod cant be found, these guys that do it are pretty resourceful. :)

Regards

Aenima

Have I made a schoolboy error ? Should the modded cam go in with eyepieces ie straight into tube or over eyepiece ? I've been putting in scope with out and kind of Lens to focus

Have I made a schoolboy error ? Should the modded cam go in with eyepieces ie straight into tube or over eyepiece ? I've been putting in scope with out and kind of Lens to focus

For the usual method the lens is removed from cam, then an adapter attached so it slides into the back of a barlow or focuser, then the chip is using the telescope as a lens with no eyepiece needed except maybe a 2x barlow to increase the image size (for most planets and moon a barlow is recommended)

The important part is to get a proper 'nosepiece' to screw into the thread where the lens use to be so the chip is nicely aligned and centred - sometimes people use a plastic tube instead but this needs to be attached very carefully and precisely to make sure the chip is square on, otherwise trying to get the target on the screen to capture video will be harder than it already is.

Several pages back I linked a nosepiece and IR block filter combo on ebay that is pretty suitable for this mod, a seperate adapter and filter can be used for slightly better quality. (the ir/uv block filter is to replace the small glass one that is usually removed from behind the black lens housing while the cam is open. it can be left in but is of poorer quality than the screw on 1.25" filters available online)

Hope this helps.

Regards

Aenima

I've just butchered and modded a £3.49 Xbox cam. I'm thrilled to say I've got it working. If I'm honest I expected many more complications, the worst of which was sorted by filing down a bit of plastic with a match box. I'm out the back, waiting for the darkness, with a great image of the moon being fed into my macbook just to provide myself with reassurance that I've actuay pulled this off, and I'm going to have a stab at imaging Saturn. I'm hopeful as there's not a cloud in the sky!

Why butcher it!! You can mod this web-cam without making a mark on it. I thought the same after reading how to do this but after doing it its so simple and you can open it without making one mark you just need to use the correct tools.

Jim

So do I . But if they don't I have protection against fraud and copy's via eBay despute , PayPal and distance buying on barclaycard

• 2 weeks later...

Had to share this another great one for xbox cam mod i made

no telescope needed just modified xbox cam with pin hole f3 lens i put on end of sensor.

pointed cam north towards ursa major for polaris and yes circling of stars

how far in deep space have i gone with Cliffcam ;) bit longer timelapse and will have them fully circling around.

unprocessed starstax

sofwtare used xubuntu with wxastrocapture record avi using exposure feature 1/33 mode used

and windows using virtual dub to extract images from avi and then used starstax to create the time lapse trailing :)

931366_10151700544177288_371259785_n.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Modified X-box webcams are now appearing on e-bay for £15.00 (buy-it now) I bought one of the original batch when they were on auction for under a tenner, completely unmarked with original lens (acts as a good dust cap) I have been getting some nice images of Saturn with it using either a 2x or 3x barlow. I note a lot of people seem to be using them for star images, what setting are you using (I have Sharpcap)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Hello. Here's my new x box live cam with the ir filter removed , LED's crushed and a nice ep adapter with a built in ir filter fitted all for just £20! :shocked: Took 1 1/2 hours to do, hardest part was obliterating the led's, very fiddelly and lots of eyestrain. Casing split open very easy with a plastic snap-on trim tool, just put it in the crack, pressed down, twisted, and off it popped no damage at all. Thanks Cliff for your instructions on how to do this, now all's I have to do is wait for these clouds to disappear!! I've attached pic's of my new toy, but not sure if its attached properly Im very new to this forum. Hope I can get some decent shots now...post-31925-0-55192600-1391299931.jpgpost-31925-0-57653100-1391300363.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Anyone help me please. .. I've just modded my xbox cam with a four inch 1.25 pipe on the end which I flocked inside. I followed the demo at the start of this thread and it's all nice and neat, hooked it up to my laptop and aimed the scope at the moon but I'm not achieving a picture really. You can see is bright but can't make anything out, moved the focuser in and out but still nothing. What am I doing wrong? ??

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Archived