SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Xbox Livecam Mod (Cliff)

gdheib0430

another question re IR filters.

the webcam i am using didnt have a seperate ir screen and lense - it was all in one. I dont presently have an IR filter, but I am very much of the position that every photon cunts, even if it is IR!

Sooooo, using wavelets in rs6 or photoshop - is it possible to screen out the IR in processing, or even 'recolour' the red to something more natural to enhance the image more - more photons etc!!!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@nicks90 There is a potential downside - If your telescope doesn't focus all frequencies equally, any IR reaching the sensor may be out of focus compared to the rest, and so make the image fuzzy.

In terms of removing the IR in post processing, since the data captured would be just red (including IR), green and blue, I would guess all you can do is reduce the red (and IR) relative to the green and blue.

another question re IR filters.

the webcam i am using didnt have a seperate ir screen and lense - it was all in one. I dont presently have an IR filter, but I am very much of the position that every photon cunts, even if it is IR!

Sooooo, using wavelets in rs6 or photoshop - is it possible to screen out the IR in processing, or even 'recolour' the red to something more natural to enhance the image more - more photons etc!!!

wahoo what a typo! That's the best one that iv seen get through the filter yet!!

Hi, when removing the front cover I found it easier to use a 6" flat bladed screwdriver, and prised the front cover of easily in a matter of seconds. Also, I left the webcam plugged in so that I could see the LED's and knew when I had broken them.

Kevin.

I'm currently trying to get focus with one of these. Is there any way I can calculate how long my extension tube needs to be? or is trial and error quicker?

I had problems to start with last night, but had spent some time trying it out during the day (on a distant telegraph pole) and found sitting the unit fairly high in the EP holder gave best results.

I'm currently trying to get focus with one of these. Is there any way I can calculate how long my extension tube needs to be? or is trial and error quicker?

That did the trick, had to cut some off the photo roll tube I was using. Not very well focused yet but certainly a lot better. Can now see bands on jupiter :) now onward and upward....

I dont think this has been done yet. I think the stumbeling block is not knowing what the imaging chip is, and the lack of a datasheet on the processing chip. If these where known then it might be possible. Its possible that the ccd has its number on the reverse side side that faces the board but i dont think anybody has removed the ccd to look. I have looked at the substarate on the ccd with a microscope and there is no identifing marks there.

Simon

I agree it would be, but i only have one at the moment and dont really want to pull it apart just yet as its needed on another project. I may get round to it one day, but if anybody else want to in the mean time, feel free :grin: :grin:

Simon

Latest xbox cam mod :) this time leaving cams lens normal no need to mod tube on end just make adapter to fit over your normal ep's

307451_10151505878117288_791017738_n.jpg

I took the image i will show below using the latest cam mod a-focal design

and it almost got orion nebula

just slipped the cam over ep and it picked up what i was viewing :)

i used linux xubuntu op system using wxastrocapture set it on highest resolution and set full exposure controll to 1/33 have to click it fast and then wait it exposure the cam to around 18-20 seconds exposure time

and it took this below

my telescope used is only small newtonium 76mm 700 focal length i think i used 10mm ep and slipped the cam over ep and it picked up bit of orion nebula fuzzy :)

553045_10151445276122288_607870151_n.jpg

simple a-focal mod worth a try probably work better with bigger scopes

Appologies if this is covered elsewhere.

I got myself a couple of web cams and took one apart without any damage. Bought myself an eyepiece adaptor and put it back together. I thought I would try and gain some experience with the moon. I could see the moon in sharp cap on my laptop but was unable to precisely focus the image. The crayford focusser was fully in but it needed to go in a little further to precisely focuss the image. If I discarded the eyepiece adaptor and front piece of the webcam and used some plastic pipe I could get the webcam closer, but are there any other options.

I got myself a couple of web cams and took one apart without any damage. Bought myself an eyepiece adaptor and put it back together. I thought I would try and gain some experience with the moon. I could see the moon in sharp cap on my laptop but was unable to precisely focus the image. The crayford focusser was fully in but it needed to go in a little further to precisely focuss the image. If I discarded the eyepiece adaptor and front piece of the webcam and used some plastic pipe I could get the webcam closer, but are there any other options.

IIRC i shortened the black lens adapter connected to the circuit board, its easy to do if you remove the board and unscrew the lens adapter by undoing the 2 screws. Also how long is the threaded part of your adapter? Some i have seen have a long threaded section, some a short threaded bit. The short threaded ones bring the adapter closer to the ccd but i had to open the hole in the plastics a bit to fit it.

IF ur using an xbox at prime focus - without lens - then to get a better image as well as bringing the focus point backwards a 2x barlow will do the job, unless you are using one already - its not a common problem to have inward travel focus trouble so im assuming your not using one?

A barlow is the best way to get round inward travel focusing problems, and helps with planetary imaging detail too.

HTH

Regards

Aenima

Archived