Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Xbox Livecam Mod (Cliff)

gdheib0430

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You could leave the filter on for now and do the other mods and try it out.

Perhaps rig the Barlow up and the try by holding the cam by hand to see where the focal point is and then make the tube adapter.

Ok great I'll give it a go as is then :)

Very good point about just seeing where the focal point is first, didn't think of that, doh! Thanks!! :D

• 6 months later...

I am currently working on moding a x box camera and was wondering how do I figure out how long the pvc pipe needs to be to work with the focal length of my scope. I have and ETX-90 AND I was looking at the eyepieces last night and they seemed to be about 2 inches long. So should the lenght on the pvc pipe be 2 inches?

Do you have an extension tube?if not, you can try with a barlow and unscrew the lens part and with that you can just hold the webcam in it and rack the focuser up and down to see the focus point. 

you can try too to see  if your scope allows it to focus without an  extension tube, mine did.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Xbox cam bought and scratched a bit already. Tried to capture Jupiter yesterday afocaly, using Sharpcap. As I have no idea what I'm doing, my previous results using iPhone/broken holder/shampoo cap/part of cat flap "mod" gave better results, but I'm positive that my tinkering with settings on sharpcap when using Xbox webcam instantly made everything go pear shaped :) 1.25" adapter with IR filter should come tomorrow, so very excited as I can only improve :) great instructions and great contributions from loads of guys. Long read though :)

Ok, so the adapter seller was good on his word and two days later I had my adapter. £9.99 with IR filter including delivery. I was expecting plastic but I received metal, with thread for additional filters and it fit perfectly. Run a test at day time and I'm hugely impressed. There's a town on the other side of the river Thames about 2.5-3 miles away and could not only see the houses, I could see through their windows. With a pathetic 4.5 inch reflector. Best 20 quid spent ever. And I can't tell how much I appreciate Cliff sharing it with us.

Ok, so the adapter seller was good on his word and two days later I had my adapter. £9.99 with IR filter including delivery. I was expecting plastic but I received metal, with thread for additional filters and it fit perfectly. Run a test at day time and I'm hugely impressed. There's a town on the other side of the river Thames about 2.5-3 miles away and could not only see the houses, I could see through their windows. With a pathetic 4.5 inch reflector. Best 20 quid spent ever. And I can't tell how much I appreciate Cliff sharing it with us.

Sorry I mean this is testing as a webcam. I received it in the post this morning so plugged it in as is and tried to get my face or something to appear but a pink gradient is all it seems to show

lens removed shows same pink white. Room lighting doesn't change things and adjusting brightness/contrast just whitens it or turns the pink black

Sorry I mean this is testing as a webcam. I received it in the post this morning so plugged it in as is and tried to get my face or something to appear but a pink gradient is all it seems to show

lens removed shows same pink white. Room lighting doesn't change things and adjusting brightness/contrast just whitens it or turns the pink black

With the lens removed that's what you will see. Without a lens the camera will not give a focused image, only a blur. If that is the image with the lens in place you might need to focus it.

Hi Stephen,  I think you may need to give us a bit more info, operating system, software you are viewing the camera with, possibly any settings in this software.

I would have thought a white/bright picture in the light and dark if you put your hand over the lens/adapter, grey if you let a little light in........  not very helpful I know.

I've tried it on sharpcap and skype

windows 8.1 when i tested it with the lens in then I tried it on a laptop with windows 7 and got the same

camera settings are

C7aAId5.png

reducing brightness and increasing contrast a little bit does this

7UmLnxU.png

and fiddling about with the other settings does nothing to get a picture

I think ima just gonna buy another one 

I think ima just gonna buy another one 

I think that would be my approach,  i can see some settings are on Auto and some are adjustable, but cannot see anything dramatic in the settings, i would have thought that Skype would have worked first time,  better luck with the next one.

• 2 months later...

What's the ideal size tubing diameter, for my xbox live camera mod? The only size I found are the same size as the 1.25 inch ep holder. Obviously I need something a fraction smaller to use with ep holder/barlow.

What's the ideal size tubing diameter, for my xbox live camera mod? The only size I found are the same size as the 1.25 inch ep holder. Obviously I need something a fraction smaller to use with ep holder/barlow.

You want one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Webcam-Adaptor-to-Fit-1-25-Eyepiece-Tube-Holder-with-Built-in-Filter-BNC-Sale-/141658278815

Yes I know it probably costs more than the camera but it screws straight in to the webcam and has an IR filter and fits in the ep holder/barlow.

• 1 month later...

I have tried this two xbox camera and I keep having issues. For my first camera I followed the instuctions to the letter but I couldn't get the camera to pick up anything then with the second camera followed the instructions to the letter with the exception for IR filter. I left the IR filter in and I was able to get the camera to pick up a street light outside my apartment. Has anyone had similar problems? Since the IR filter is just a filter and not a lense it shouldn't have much of an effect on the picture correct?

Archived