Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Xbox Livecam Mod (Cliff)

gdheib0430

I'm trying to build up the confidence to squish the leds!

Can't paint them as I don't have any paint. Got a toothpick or needle ready - will they do the job?

Or do I leave them and put up with a little extraneous noise?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm trying to build up the confidence to squish the leds!

Can't paint them as I don't have any paint. Got a toothpick or needle ready - will they do the job?

Or do I leave them and put up with a little extraneous noise?

think black/dark nail polish is good or long nose pliers

I just picked mine off with a jeweller's screwdriver.

You really want to get rid of them if you can though. There seems to be a fair bit of leakage onto the sensor if you dont.

James

Thanks for all the help - I finally bit the bullet and squished 'em!

Had a lot of fun last night but the only object I could see through the cam, using sharpcap, was the moon.

How do I adjust the sensitivity to make imaging the planets a possibility?

Thanks for all the help - I finally bit the bullet and squished 'em!

Had a lot of fun last night but the only object I could see through the cam, using sharpcap, was the moon.

How do I adjust the sensitivity to make imaging the planets a possibility?

I tend to turn the gain to 0 on mine, then raise the exposure until it comes in at a good level. Also, there's been a couple of times I've had it pointed straight at Jupiter, with the exposure set correctly and nothing but a black screen - until I realised the focus on the scope was completely out of whack. Also, it won't hurt to turn the gain up to 'find it' at first, but I think you should be able to get the best photos with gain set to 0.

Hi

Im not a stargazer, but please keep reading. I visited GAME the shop today and they have xbox webcams in bags for 99p in my local shop, I imagine its due to their financial difficulties at the moment. but it is worth checking out your local ones.

I found this forum while looking for mods to do with them and I have like many of you opened one up and disabled the leds, I found it easier to do with a small blade and just nick the corner of the glass as this seems less destructive and works just the same with out stress of crushing them, i even did this while they where powerd and active so instant results and if it broke well it was only 99p :(.

I will have to check my local store i know i got some ps3 cams for 99p from teeside park middlesbrough :( damaged 1 of them modding like only got 1 left now

managed to mod that.

xbox cam is much better like thing on ps3 cams interesting is the microphone array system possibly diy radio astronomy with that sometime listen to skies:)

cant beat the xbox cam like for imaging :(

also ubisoft wii cams pretty awesome for imaging.

get them for around tenner inside your shape boxes.

mite get another wii cam sometime easy to mod.

Hi

Im not a stargazer, but please keep reading. I visited GAME the shop today and they have xbox webcams in bags for 99p in my local shop, I imagine its due to their financial difficulties at the moment. but it is worth checking out your local ones.

I found this forum while looking for mods to do with them and I have like many of you opened one up and disabled the leds, I found it easier to do with a small blade and just nick the corner of the glass as this seems less destructive and works just the same with out stress of crushing them, i even did this while they where powerd and active so instant results and if it broke well it was only 99p :).

I unscrewed the mini lens from wii cam thats all ya need to do

and simple attach wii cam to where you wud put eye piece on telescope use bit tape or make adapter from bit pipe similar to xbox cam.

think ccd sensor is smaller on wii cam if it's ccd not sure yet but still has long exposure.

also works pretty ok on it's own with orginal lens picks some stars up with ir filter removed. also break led on wii cam.

Here is link to some me latest moon images taken with wii cam attached to newtonium telescope

Stargazers Lounge - Stargazing_Cliff's Album: Cliffs latest moon imaging

Here is some images of Jupiter also taken with wii cam

http://stargazerslounge.com/members/stargazing_cliff-albums-jupiter.html

I use wii cam lot with me telescope, and xbox cam for wide view of skies with original lens and ps3 cam for daylight use with 2 settings of wide view of sky.

Do you mod the wii cam the same way ?

Also is it just a case of plugging it in then just holding it to the eyepiece + taking a picture ?

Okay thankyou, that's very hellpfull, I think I will buy one, I've seen one for £2

Can I take pictures of planets and the moon without modifying it ?(As it sounds complicated to me, I'm not the best at things like that) Or will they just be smudges like with a digital camera ?

Do you have any pictures of saturn or galaxies with the wii cam ?

Archived