NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mother nature's joke is wearing thin.

steelfixer

Well for the third night running I have walked home looking at a clear sky with Jupiter shining like a new pin in a velvet blanket.

I get home fire up the computers and slide back the obsy roof.

Go inside power up the mount and slew the scope into the home position.

Go back into the obsy to check all is as should be look up to see nothing but clouds.

Mutter some expleatives and start to shut it all down again.

If this is mother nature's idea of a joke it is begining to wear a bit thin.

Oh for some clear skies that stay clear.

For weeks no months before my scope arrived I walked home looking at Jupiter, Venus and all the stars. Scope arrives and clouds every night lol weather report has clear skies 10pm thurs until 2am then not again until sunday AAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!

Oh don't get me started with this... the 21st of December was possibly the best night I have ever seen in my area, the seeing was totally pristine. I was so excited (knowing Santa had a scope for me) I took my sketch pad and 10-30x60 bins out to have a bit of a sketching practice.

Now, **** all. And this high altitude haze we seem to have...

*muttering*

Ha! I'll raise you a clear weekend coming (trust me), stargazing live starting monday and my mount going back to the manufacturer for repairs tomorrow!!

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Oh don't get me started with this... the 21st of December was possibly the best night I have ever seen in my area, the seeing was totally pristine. I was so excited (knowing Santa had a scope for me) I took my sketch pad and 10-30x60 bins out to have a bit of a sketching practice.

Now, **** all. And this high altitude haze we seem to have...

*muttering*

High haze seems to be my lingering problem- even when it's 'clear' it's not.

Well for the third night running I have walked home looking at a clear sky with Jupiter shining like a new pin in a velvet blanket.

Go back into the obsy to check all is as should be look up to see nothing but clouds.

Just e-mailed you Graham.... looks like some clear skies coming for the weekend/next week.... :-)

Fingers crossed

Ben

It's been the same here (Oxfordshire)

Commute home from work is spent eyeing up Venus, Jupiter etc for the better part of an hour.

Run into the house and IMMEDIATELY stick the scope outside

Wait for scope to cool

Dare to venture outside.....8/8ths cloud cover....GRRRRRRRRRRR

Pack scope away

Cloud clears.....

And repeat

This is my observing life at the moment it feels, I'm very sceptical about Stargazing live and the weather for it. It must be getting worse, I never remember the skies being so cloudy....or maybe I just pay more attention now :-)

I had kind of the opposite - clear skies all day whilst at work so I was fully prepared to get in and pop the scope out to cool.

As we were driving up to the house thick misty cloud poured overhead :( so I gave up that plan, had dinner and settled down to watch TV rubbish :icon_scratch:

An hour later - Clear as you like :D, but too late to set up, cool and have a decent session on a work night. Think I need a grab n go scope...

This is the exact reason I got myself a decent 80mm APO on alt-az scope. I can have it up and running and looking at things in ~60 sec from arriving home from work. As I dark-adapt I can see more and more with it, and I can chase the sucker holes just fine as well. Can't recommend it more as an addition to a stable.

This is the exact reason I got myself a decent 80mm APO on alt-az scope. I can have it up and running and looking at things in ~60 sec from arriving home from work. As I dark-adapt I can see more and more with it, and I can chase the sucker holes just fine as well. Can't recommend it more as an addition to a stable.

I used my little 80mm in that way, and sometimes still do for wide field, but I found I can set up the C8 almost as quickly as the 80mm (2 minutes makes little odds). The bins are for the zero set-up time cases.

I had kind of the opposite - clear skies all day whilst at work so I was fully prepared to get in and pop the scope out to cool.

As we were driving up to the house thick misty cloud poured overhead :( so I gave up that plan, had dinner and settled down to watch TV rubbish :icon_scratch:

An hour later - Clear as you like :D, but too late to set up, cool and have a decent session on a work night. Think I need a grab n go scope...

Same for us most nights at the mo.. and yeah TV is total rubbish.,, at least they dont put programms on about clear skies and brilliant star viewing. That would be just sick!

Archived