Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Finder with Synta Type Base on Crayford Focuser

johninderby

Fitting a finderscope with a Synta/Skywatcher type base to a typical crayford focuser is such a simple job it doesn't really qualify as a mod. Just use a Synta finder foot as can be found at dealers such as FLO. Don't use the one that is often available on Scpes'n'Skies Astroboot though as the "feet"on the foot are too short and it won't sit down on the focuser properly.

First Light Optics - Finder Mounting Shoe

Simply drill and countersink a new hole in the foot as shown in the photos. It needs offsetting slightly to the front so that the foot clears the focuser flange. Use a countersink 5mm bolt shortened so it doesn't protrude too far into the focuser.

Dead simple isn't it. :icon_scratch:

John

post-14522-133877715586_thumb.jpg

post-14522-133877715591_thumb.jpg

post-14522-133877715599_thumb.jpg

post-14522-133877715605_thumb.jpg

post-14522-133877715611_thumb.jpg

Brilliant - I've been trying to find an affordable way of putting a finder on my little ED travel scope and this has given me the confidence to order a base from FLO and get to work with the power tools! Thank you!

£5.10 well spent - my little ED scope now carries the finder from my old Helios Startravel and is much easier to use. Thanks to FLO for supplying the goods and to John for the advice and pictures here!

• 6 years later...

Hello guys. Never posted on this forum before . I know its a older post but still interesting. I need a little help & advice. I am new to this I recently  bought the skywatcher startravel & also got this focuser. You drill in the shoe but do you need to drill a new hole in the focuser ? Or can one of the screws or allen keys be removed to slot shoe straight in ? Hope my shoe arrives from FLO today. Any advice would be appreciated.  I will introduce  myself on the right place  in the forum if I can find it.. Plus sorry for my inexperience. Thank you Ian. Middlesbrough. 

Archived