Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Weather

Grunthos

(All of this to be taken with appropriate pinch of salt)

Intro

How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Weather?

For over 5 years I had worked and lived overseas in the deserts of the Middle East, and SW US of A.

They don't really get different weather or even seasons in those regions.

It's either, hot, hotter or really, really hot e.g. 40-50+ deg C.:)

Believe me, you can get bored of this sort of stuff very quickly (I'm not a lizard!).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

On SGL there have been a lot of posts recently decrying recent weather.

You wimps! :o

I strongly disagree.

Now I know we (esp. Brits) love to moan about the weather but lets take a (tongue in cheek:)) step back and look at the situation.

Complaining about inclement weather is like complaining about:

- the light pollution the sun gives off (and why, oh why, does it have to rise every morning!)

- the light pollution the moon gives off (it's so bright we sometimes need filters, aka sunglasses, to look at it)

- rain (who needs plants and other living things)

- wind (darn planet keeps on revolving, mumble, grumble, Coriolos effect, mumble, grumble, mumble....)

So what we going to do? The weather is not going to go away (and a good thing to IMHO).

I say take the

and learn to embrace the vagaries of the weather.;)(you would miss it if it were gone...).

EDIT: (Of course, I am also interested in meteorology - but that another thread altogether!:()

I love the rain, i lived in spain for 5-6 years, and at one point it didn't rain for over a year. We had a 50'C summer, it was brutal. When it did eventually rain, it started at about 11pm, i opened my ground floor window, climbed out, and layed on the floor loving every second. Ever since then, i NEVER complain about the rain.

Clouds on the other hand, are an entirely different matter. :)

I love the rain, i lived in spain for 5-6 years, and at one point it didn't rain for over a year. We had a 50'C summer, it was brutal. When it did eventually rain, it started at about 11pm, i opened my ground floor window, climbed out, and layed on the floor loving every second. Ever since then, i NEVER complain about the rain.

Clouds on the other hand, are an entirely different matter. :)

I'm with you jimmyjam, did a stint in N Africa, when we got back to the Uk, me and "she who used to be obeyed" took a walk in the rain with our faces upturned to the elements, but that was well before I took up astronomy, (LP didnt bother me then either). But the relentless attack of Very poor weather this last month or so, is a bit of a grind, saying that tho, it does make you think, "hmm bit of broken cloud, might get an hour in" I'm strait onto the europe infrared sat web to guesstimate the chances. So us (UK) astronomers are also amature meterologists too? (I also find that interesting)

It adds to the excitment of the whole proccess, and when you manage to "get some in" to me, it does feel that little bit more rewarding....

"I do need to get out more" that works on so many levels ;)

Ah Dolly Parton. She may look like a simple country girl with an unfathomable bra size but she can sure write lyrics.

Before I took up astronomy as a hobby I was into backpacking. At least now when the weather sets in I'm not stuck in a tent in the wilderness.

Tim

Another few days without any real prospect of getting out here in the West... :)

I didn't think it could get much worse but it has...

Peter...

Same here, the west coast has taken a battering especialy over the last week.

Every clear night I observe, they are so few and far between at the moment...

Hey guys

I am here in Johannesburg South Africa The entire holiday season has rained out every single day I kid you not.....

And here is the kicker

a brand new AP1200 and a C11Edge and all I can do is read the manual again and again and again

Waited 20 years for the dream setup I used a ETX 125 for 25 years Still love it maybe I will get some rings and put her where she belongs.. On the AP1200

Have a great year

DD

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2..... The coolest gadget I own. Tapatalk..The coolest App.

Its still a bit windy here in NW Manchester, but unbelievably there isn't a cloud in the sky. Roll on 17:30......... hmm maybe i should of kept quiet

Clearing in Merseyside as well.

Oh blast I've done it now! :)

Archived