Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

First solar session with 150mm f6 newt and Baader film filter

Moonshane

Hi all

Had my first view of the sun through my scope and home made full aperture filter. Superb to see our close neighbourhood star and there were lots of large and small sunspots and a surprising amount of detail.

Is there a 'best' resource that can allow me to identify the sunspots etc that I can see at any time? In fact, I just 'spotted' this Sunspots and I seem to recall seeing all of the ones named. The image shown is pretty much how I saw the sun today too. Very impressed.

• 4 weeks later...

what color was the sun white? i saw some film at rother valley optics that was R G SOLAR FILM 30 quid a sheet but ut gave a orange grainy view of the sun and the sun spots where there as well ,do you think you would get video with a web cam ?

• 3 weeks later...

smarty pants! so that's what the real name of my 'white bits' are then? I'll remember that one. know almost nothing about solar terminology.

I forgot to say that this is actually with my 6" f5 not the now sold f6.

hope you get a good image matey.

smarty pants! so that's what the real name of my 'white bits' are then? I'll remember that one. know almost nothing about solar terminology.

I forgot to say that this is actually with my 6" f5 not the now sold f6.

hope you get a good image matey.

Lol no smarty pants on my part, I use a very well written website for my reference, done by one of the lads on this forum (sorry I forget your name!)

CCD moon and planets

Here is my image from today.

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-solar/176343-solar-white-light-18th-feb-2012-a.html

Archived