Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tal 100RS First light of sorts...

Well, I finally managed to get my new 100RS outside for the first time - albeit a very short session before the clouds rolled in!

I started with my 200P for a 'reference' and selected the obvious targets that were out tonight, M42, the Moon and Jupiter.

The seeing wasn't the best, it's still quite windy outside here at the moment. With the Moon bright, M42 wasn't the best target but the 200P did sterling work as it always does. Switching to the Tal, I was surprised at just how much I could still see - the Trapezium was very easily resolved. It's not really a fair fight with a 200mm scope going against a 100mm scope, but the difference wasn't as marked as I would have expected.

Anyway - Jupiter was my next target, and considering the conditions the view with the 100RS was amongst the best I've had. There was some slight purple fringing around the planet with my 25mm Plossl but it wasn't apparent at higher mags. Tonight was also the first light for my new Tal 3X Barlow, so I was playing with eyepieces and comparing the 2X and 3X Barlows. The Tal 6.3 mm Plossl isn't really my favourite eyepiece - it doesn't really like my 200P (F5) but it works quite well in the 100RS both with and without a Barlow. The 6.3mm and 3X combo was too much for the conditions, but the 3X and my 10mm Plossl wasn't bad at all.

Finally, and with clouds rapidly closing in, I pointed at the moon which was gobsmacking. The 200P showed a wealth of detail along the terminator which was equalled by the 100RS. The refractor seemed to have a little more contrast to the image as well which was a pleasant surprise.

Unfortunately, a veil of cloud quickly ruined any chance of further comparison so I packed up for another night. I'm fairly content with it so far, but I'd like some more time for a more thorough assessment.

Oops, neglected to report on the focuser and the finderscope.

The focuser is of the Crayford design and works fine - it seems to be a bit more responsive than the Skywatcher one on my 200P, but there's nothing in it really.

The Tal finderscope is actually very good, in that it's usable! My 200P had the rather naff finderscope quickly replaced with a simple red dot finder which was much more usable, but the Tal one is bright and clear - I'll persist with it for a while to see whether it stays on there.

yes, contrast, i am hoping to improve the already very good contrast on my 100rs as i bought a roll of the velour pure black flocking and will see how much of the tal can be flocked

That is a job I want to try, but have put off for a while. Will be interested in how you tackle this, on a reflector I normally flock the tube in 3 pieces ie in 1/3 of the diameter at a time by whatever the roll width length is. With the Tal you have baffles to contend with as well and you can't get your hand down the tube. On my Tal the baffles were easily removable and would take the difference in dia. of a flocked tube for re-fitting, just need to mark and measure exactly where each one goes.

If the tube is well baffled and light shielded, and the light only passes through it in one direction, as with a refractor, is flocking the interior of the tube worth bothering with ?.

If the tube is well baffled and light shielded, and the light only passes through it in one direction, as with a refractor, is flocking the interior of the tube worth bothering with ?.

That is a very good question John, i will flock the dew shield as that is shiny plastic, i have a feeling the focuser end of the tube could benefit from being flocked, but i will need to look into it :)

For flocking the Protostar Flockboard is ideal as it slides down the tube and holds itself in place. So much easier than trying to fit self-adhesive flocking inside a long 4" tube.

I used it to flock the Carton 100mm f/13 that I've just built. Also made the baffles out of the Flockboard. It's so black inside I can't even see the baffles.

You could just cut lengths short enough to fit between the baffles on the 100RS.

John

I recently flocked my dew shield on the C100ED. Yeah..... those scopes can be hard work. Focuser upgrades require custom adapters, dust caps fall off just looking at them and the barrel curve on the dew shield requires quite a talent to flock.

Archived