Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQ or Dob

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any chance you could expand on this?

Happy New Year by the way.

I think the point is youll SEE most things with most scopes, but its how much detail youll see which will change, ie. The more light gathered (hence the phrase light bucket), the more detail you will have. I think more light also means you can filter without making the object too dim to see

Im new so I might be wrong but its logical

Dave

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Any chance you could expand on this?

Happy New Year by the way.

UHF is right. The 8" can gather 33% more light than the 6". If conditions permit you have a lot better chance of being able to make out more detail. For example when i observe the andromeda galaxy in my 150P it has never really appeared to be any more than a fuzzy ball of light thats slightly elongated, I have just started to get a hint of the galaxy's shape. With an 8" I believe (if conditions permit) that you can start to see some of the dust lanes and be able to see more of the structure.

My choice would be the dob, for the bigger aperture (78% more light gathering power), low setup hassle and more bang for your buck visually.

The biggest issue for me with our dob is the cool down time (it needs to be left outside for a while before used, to cool down and steady the view - the six inch should cool down faster), but I don't mind that as it's quick to set up.

Great thread, thanks for the advice everyone. I too have been trying to make the same decision for my first scope, and I think the 8" Dob is going to be the one. One question I have though...

Since one of the main drawbacks is the cooling down period, could I not just store it in the shed, rather than bringing it in and out of the house all the time? Or is this not a good idea for other reasons?

E-Q for me .No need for expensive wide field EPs to compensate the nudging of the dob .I can stick a 5mm BGO in and fire the motors up and bobs your uncle.As for setting up time ,10 minutes flat with pretty damn accurate polar aligning as the tracking usually proves.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I'm going to give a vote for the Dob too!

Very easy to use.

When i first started i wanted simplicity but with good views.

I didn't want to be agitated getting a scope set up as i'm new also to this game.

I wanted a good scope to take out and use with the minimum of fuss.My 200p dob does that.

Later when i've gained more knowledge and become adept at finding my way around the sky then i might go for a mount but while i have to find objects myself i'm learning all the time.

And that is half the fun.

Good luck in your decision.:p

Archived