Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ or Dob

Hi All,

Still bashing the keys researching for a first scope. My question is:

Do I really need an EQ mount? For roughly the same money I can get a dob with a larger aperture, (aperture fever already) than it's equivalent priced scope on an EQ mount.

I don't intend to do any photography work just yet, and in any case the budget i'm now looking at will only get me an EQ3-2 mount, and i've read the minimum required for serious AP work is EQ5.

Are there any other downsides to a dob apart from the tracking issue?

My budget has increased from it's original starting point as I've decided to contiue with the bins for now, so I've come down to a straight choice between:

Skywatcher Skyliner 8" Dobsonian

Skywatcher Explorer 6" EQ3-2

Your thoughts greatly appreciated

Regards

Craig

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of stability a Dob is far better than an under-specified EQ mount and far more intuitive to use. It is not just a cheap manual visual mount, it is also probably the best manual visual mount bar none if well made. We have a 20 inch, simple home made one and it just sits there good as gold. We all owe John Dobson a big thank-you!

For me the minimum AP mount would really be the HEQ5, not the EQ5 with its coarser stepper motors. I'd leave that till later, quite honestly.

Olly

A dob is quick to set up, then go inside for a brew leaving it to cool

an EQ mount needs to be set up a bit, polar aligned and balanced, i would go for the dob as a first scope, if you out grow it they have a good resale factor, and nudging becomes very instinctive

Definitely go for the dob as a first scope. So easy to set up and use and the bigger aperture will be beneficial for visual observing. If you're looking to get into AP in the future then some will say that you can buy the appropriate mount later on an mount your scope to it.

I had this exact decision to make when choosing my scope. The only thing that swayed it for me was storage. Space is at a premium in my house and couldn't find anywhere I could safely store the 8" dob that was out of little fingers reach. And when I had a play with the 8" dob I couldn't imagine myself running it up and down the stairs. The 6" fits nicely on top of my wardrobe. Eventually when the kids are older it won't be a problem and ill look to upgrade perhaps. With regards to weight there probably isn't much between the 6" eq with its counter weights and the 8" dob but at the time I think visually it just looked heavier. To sum up, if space isn't an issue the go for the 8" dob.

I had this exact decision to make when choosing my scope. The only thing that swayed it for me was storage. Space is at a premium in my house and couldn't find anywhere I could safely store the 8" dob that was out of little fingers reach. And when I had a play with the 8" dob I couldn't imagine myself running it up and down the stairs. The 6" fits nicely on top of my wardrobe. Eventually when the kids are older it won't be a problem and ill look to upgrade perhaps. With regards to weight there probably isn't much between the 6" eq with its counter weights and the 8" dob but at the time I think visually it just looked heavier. To sum up, if space isn't an issue the go for the 8" dob.

Would you say there's much difference in what you can observe between the 6 and 8 inch?

Well I'm gonna be controversial. I have the 150P (was on EQ3-2) now on HEQ5 and the 200 Dob

Of both scopes the 150 wins for me hands down. I hate the Dob base, hate 'nudging' it to keep things in view. The EQ mount is more natural to use and I've been happy with the AP's I've taken with it. OK the HEQ5 is a far superior mount and will do me better in the future.

I suggest you actually go and try both a Dob and EQ to see what you like. I bought my Dob without trying it and probably would have used the money to upgrade my mount sooner. As for taking images of the moon,planets etc using a Dob is a real pain and I've never managed it.

Sorry to go against the grain here but as said perhaps try before you buy

Cheers

Jamie

Well I'm gonna be controversial. I have the 150P (was on EQ3-2) now on HEQ5 and the 200 Dob

Of both scopes the 150 wins for me hands down. I hate the Dob base, hate 'nudging' it to keep things in view. The EQ mount is more natural to use and I've been happy with the AP's I've taken with it. OK the HEQ5 is a far superior mount and will do me better in the future.

I suggest you actually go and try both a Dob and EQ to see what you like. I bought my Dob without trying it and probably would have used the money to upgrade my mount sooner. As for taking images of the moon,planets etc using a Dob is a real pain and I've never managed it.

Sorry to go against the grain here but as said perhaps try before you buy

Cheers

Jamie

Don't apologize for going against the grain. That's the difference between a forum and a chorus.

Olly

... I hate the Dob base, hate 'nudging' it to keep things in view. The EQ mount is more natural to use ....

I have to agree with you. I really, really, don't like dobs at all, and find EQ mounts much easier to use. But lots of folk seem to like them, so it's best to try them out to see what you prefer. I guess with a 20" scope, though, it's the only practical option for an amateur.

Grantes im brand new to this but I got the 200 with eq5 as I thought id have to learn how to use an eq mount eventually, I personally find it isnt much hassle to setup and use, u dont HAVE to polar align everytime as u could just plonk it down and point it as u would a dob and adjust using the dec and ra knobs. But for long sessions on one target u would set it up right so u only have to touch the ra. that said, u can get a lot more aperture if u go dob.

Btw I thought the first rule of sgl was that u dont talk about sgl

You mean: "first rule of SGL is, you find a dark sky. The second rule of SGL is, you find a dark sky":D

Regards Steve

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

I recently bought a 200P Dob after taking advice from the forum. Had it a few months now and it's great. Very easy to use and I have seen some great sights. As an inexperienced astronomer its the Dob for me!

Archived