SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher Finderscope Quesion

Hi all

I've recently brought a Skywatcher 200P (secondhand) & I am quite happy with it so far. The only niggle I have is with the finderscope as I find it to be quite sloppy in the mount. So my what I'm wanting to know is.

Is there an O ring or something similar that goes around the scope so it's not loose when it is placed in its mount?

I have put an elastic band around it for now not ideal I know but it is now a much more snug fit in the mount.

IMAG0493.jpg?t=1325279720

IMAG0494.jpg?t=1325279783

Sorry the pictures aren't great.

Don't know who sells the proper one. You can easily buy O rings of the correct diameter but they always seem to be too thick to fit.You might try FLO.

BTW this youtube video shows a finder with the same type of bracket which illustrates the O ring really well.

John

Cheers for that guys I'll have a rummage around & see if I have any O Rings lying about. I know a friend of mine has a box of assorted O Rings but I'm sure they are quite thick.:p

I've just been through the Skywatcher boxes but haven't found it in there. I guess the elastic bands I put on mine will do for now but I will see what my friend has in his box of assortment of O Rings.

I managed to sort it out ok tonight. I had a look in my friends assortment of O Rings & ended up fitting one that was only the same size diameter as the eyepiece end & stretched it over to the groove on the finderscope, as the o rings that were the right diameter were to thick. It all fits nice & snug now with no wobbles so hopefully I should be able to set it up without it going out of alignment when the scope slews round in one of it's weird positions.

Thanks again guys.:p

I guess that's what the previous owner done with it. I've had to revert back to the rubber band for now as the o ring broke. I guess they don't like to be stretched.

I know this may sound a little daft but there are quite a lot of small motor drive belts used in the electronics and model industry, these will not be as thick as the large O rings, may be a look in Maplins or RS spares, or perhaps a model supplies outlet could be rewarding :(

I have hundreds of different o-rings at work in non-standard sizes. Let me have a rummage on Monday and if I have one that fits I'll let you know.

Thanks that would be great, the rubber band is holding it in place nice & firm so no rush. If you haven't got any then I might try my local motor store or B&Q etc.

• 8 months later...

Hello. I know this is an old thread, but I discovered the O-ring on my Skywatcher Finderscope had broken this evening. I don't have any spares but in a flash of inspiration I used one of my wife's hairbands - she has some skinny ones without the metal crimp on (they are kind of melted together at the ends. Anyway, I had to double it over to make it fit snugly but it works like a charm!

Archived