Another new stargazer !

gcnewforest

HI Everyone - well my wife eventually took all of my hints over the last 12 months and has bought me a Sky-Watcher 1145 with EQ1 mount for Christmas. I've spent the last two days setting it up - the second day taking everything apart and starting again from scratch ! Had a very frustrating evening trying to view last night and then realised this morning that I had only taken the centre part of the cover off - told you I was new !:icon_salut:

Anyway, can anyone help me with setting up the red dot finder ? Can't get my head around how this works yet so any advice would be much appreciated

Thanks all

:p

Hi, welcome to SGL, the Red Dot Finder, turn it on and move your head about behind it, you should see a red dot, align the scope with something bright (Jupiter) lock the scope on your bright star, then use the adjusters on the RDF to put the reddot on your chosen star, job done.

hi there which red dot finder do you have ? is it the crazy one with a thin flat watch type battery,because they almost need to be checked every time you go out i had one on my 90mm frac ages ago i have not used it for two years i brought a finder scope in the end but,

put your lowest power ep 20mm or above find a bright star you no,or go for orions belt ,there should be a twist nut on the back and one on the right side of the red dot finder fiddle with them keep check in the ep to make sure you still see

Thanks to everyone for the very warm welcome and the much needed advice. Now all I need is for some clear skies !

I'm still working on the red dot finder - it seems logical but I probably need to figure out how to callibrate it. One question, to look through it do you look through the eyepiece close up or from a distance as I guess there will be all sorts of problems with parallax ?

I'm also very inspired by some of the astrophotography shown on this site - that's something I would like to work towards as the results on here are stunning. But that's still a year or two away I would guess - something to aim at ( just not using my red dot finder !):p

Archived