Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What accessories are needed?

Hi,

I finally got my first telescope, Skywatcher Skyliner 250p. Included were a fan a weight and a dew shield. I was wondering what other accessories are needed. I heard that a Telrad is a worthy investment and also a sky atlas (recommendations). In the future I would like to buy some more eps and have been told buy quality like Televue's, does anybody know where to get them at a good price/second hand?

Thanks,

Midge

nice first scope purchase, as for accesories, the skys the limit but it comes down to budget, i`m down to 3 eyepieces at the moment with maybe a 40mm next for wide field viewing.

if your looking for second hand there`s astro buy and sell, but there is a for sale and wanted section on this forum which should be up and running again soon.

Telrad is a nice buy.

second the Moon filter, but you might need a darker one than normal as you have a big mirror there and alot of light, maybe a call to flow as they sell them at different shades

the skys the limit but it comes down to budget,

My budget at the moment is about £100 and a telrad and moon filter are about £50 so that currently leaves £50 on eps which I don't believe is alot so a bit of saving might have to be done!:D

Televues are great eyepieces but even 2nd hand they can be pricey there are lots of good ones at more reasonable prices. have a look around and if you see any you like come back and ask. the odds are somebody will have used them. televue are probably the best but they are not the only ones. As to a star atlas if you have a laptop try this it's free. Stellarium

and this is the iphone app for it

Stellarium by [?] - Download Stellarium in the iTunes App Store

afraid i don't know how much it costs

Personally I'd save the money on the moon filter (I've never used one in 30 years !) which gives you around £60 for eyepieces / eyepiece. The Nagler 11mm is nearly 3x that used I'm afraid. On that budget you could get a couple of the Vixen NPL's which look good value at £30 each and should work pretty well even at F/4.7 because they are standard field of view eyepieces.

A telrad most certainly Telrad Red Dot Finder when they come back in stock , sky atlas http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sky-Telescopes-Pocket-Atlas/dp/1931559317/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1325070824&sr=8-1 forget the moon filter just use the 2" stopper on the dust cap when the moon is 3/4's, red torch or normal torch with red nail varnish over the lens, PLENTY of warm clothes, given your rural location an OIII filter is a well worthy investment (but not cheap) and finally more so than anything a Cheshire collimator.

Telescope House Eyepieces for new televue EP's but patience and U.K. Astronomy Buy & Sell for second hand TV's at a bargain but until then you could make do with BST's Sky's the Limit which again these come up used on UKB&S.

Agree with Spaceboy a cheshire eyepiece should be first on your shopping list. If your scope is not well collimated you will not be using it to its full potential. After that I'd say a Telrad or Rigel quikfinder, a red light torch, the Sky and Telescope pocket sky atlas and lastly an observing chair of some sort.

Prelude to a dream,

I see you have a Televue Nagler what is that like as I was recommended the exact model?

It's a fantastic eyepiece. I definitely recommend it, if you can get the cash. I was fortunate enough to pick mine up cheaper second hand.

Like many others will say, Televues cost a lot, but they're worth what you pay for them.

Hi Midge,

Thats a great scope, I have the 300p & haven't regretted it.

If you want a star atlas then you should get a copy of The Cambridge star atlas 4th edition. It sells for about £25 which is expensive but when I compared it to other star atlases I've had it blows them all away! It is so easy to use & gives you all the useful information you could possibly need!

Jeff

£25 for the collimater at FLO does anyone know anywhere cheaper or is that the usual price

Thats not a bad price - there is some precision needed in their manufacture otherwise they would be no good at the job they are trying to do - which is a precise one !.

Archived