Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EP for planetary viewing

calluml314

Hey guys,

I've been using my 200p dob for a weeks now and would like some ideas on a new eyepiece, mainly for planets. I cant see much of Jupiter in the supplied 10mm and would like to see more detail, what size ep should i go for? I've been having a look at the bst explorer's and the TMB planetary's and they seem quite good.

All comments welcome :D

Your 10mm should give a reasonable view of Jupiter. It is going to be at least 100x and that is easily high enough. So check for other aspects. Is the collimation good?

If you go for the BST's they have 8mm and 12mm, I assume that you are thinking of the 8mm?

Your 10mm should give a reasonable view of Jupiter. It is going to be at least 100x and that is easily high enough. So check for other aspects. Is the collimation good?

If you go for the BST's they have 8mm and 12mm, I assume that you are thinking of the 8mm?

yes i can see jupiter well with the 10mm, but would like a greater magnification, and yes i was looking at the 8mm, i've read that the skywatcher ep's are not that good so was thinking a new ep would do better than getting a barlow.

I find 180x is good on Jupiter with my ED120 refractor and 10" newtonian. With your 200P dobsonian a 7mm eyepiece gives 171x and a 6mm, 200x. I'd probably go for a 7mm - that's a good step up from 100x in image scale without squeezing the detail out as long as the viewing conditions are decent.

For Jupiter I find from x181 to x261 is most useful in my C9.25. You might try a 7mm to start with and see how you get on with that. You can always add a 5mm later (x240) to give you a bit more magnification when seeing conditions allow.

Archived