Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sh2-235 - Colour image

swag72

Following on from my Ha data of Sh-235, I decided as my first ever colour image, to have a go at making this HaRGB. Well, I certainly don't think I make life easy for myself!

M: HEQ5

T: SW 120ED Pro x0.85 reducer

C: Atik 314L mono

F: Baader 7nm Ha, Baader 1.25" RGB

G: 9x50 finder with QHY5 - Maxim

23 X 600s Ha

75:75:75 minutes of RGB integrated

Captured in Artemis, processed in PI and final tweak in CS5

As this is the first colour image I have produced, I would welcome comments on how to improve, what to change etc.

post-18339-133877709824_thumb.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hope you don't mind me having a little play. I adjusted the levels, ran GradientXterminator and reduced the saturation a bit. Not sure what others will think of my effort, but I think it looks a little better. Obviously, the original image would have been better to play with.

post-16549-133877709831_thumb.jpg

Hi Sara,

You have plenty of data just a little post processing required. It is always difficult working from someone else's JPEG as I am sure the others have discovered but here's my attempt. This was just a gentle iterative tweak with 'Levels'.

post-13675-133877709869_thumb.jpg

Cheers Harry!!

Just one more question if I may - While using masks (of any making) the nebula AND the stars tend to be either protected or not. Is there a way to be able to alter the nebula without the stars being selected? Like having 2 masks, one masking out the stars and another the nebula?

Or perhaps I just need to make masks differently?

Thanks Harry, will have to watch that fully!! As well as learn PixelMath!!

Cheers to all for your comments, I realise now how over excited I became with the processing!! I will try to stop posting poorly processed stuff until I learn to contain my exuberance!!!

I can't contribute to anything on the Pixinsight side other than to say that SCNR should deal with the green issues in a click.

Then I think the original needs either clipping back a bit more or a shift to the right for the gamma point for more contrast. This is Photoshop speak, alas. Harry will kill me.

You have some dark star haloes. It would be good to find out at which point in the process they appeared. I'd drop the saturation myself, too.

After all this, I think you have done well and come a long way. If I were you I'd just practise doing some RGB only on clusters or well known bright objects to get your eye in colour processing.

If it's any consolation I have just had a total failure on a colour run last night. I mean total...

Olly

I will try to stop posting poorly processed stuff until I learn to contain my exuberance!!!

I hope you wont as reading threads like this are great for noobs (like myself) to learn. It's great to see the perfectly processed images of course, but these ones are far more instructive.

I don't wish to hear bad news Olly, but what on earth happened?

Honestly, this is such a damn fickle hobby that even the best of you get bad nights - What's that all about?!!

@eid - I hope to reign myself in a little with the processing so don't plan on posting anything quite so garish again!!!

Archived