Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hands free focuser

After getting annoyed with my clumsy hands shaking the scope when focusing I've been wondering how much improvement there'd be with a better quality focuser. On searching I saw a hands free focuser for £45. This seems like a great idea and a lot cheaper than a new Crayford, but you know the old saying.... "when something looks too good to be true, it usually is".

How good are these devices. Will it work satisfactorily with the basic focuser on my Skywatcher 150p or will I end up having to get a decent Crayford as well.

Thanks in advance

I assume you mean one of these: First Light Optics - SkyWatcher Auto Focuser They do work (My own is self-made but the principle is the same) The electronic focusser allows you to focus without causing the scop to vibrate/shake about so you can see what is going on!

The better quality focussers will still have the vibration problem - when hand operated - but do generally allow a much finer "touch" that allows you to find that "perfect" spot much more easily. However you have to consider whether or not you can justify the cost of some of them!!

I've been in the same boat, and after asking around people are of the general opinion that motorized focusers are great, but can be very slow. This only really makes a difference if you're switching from long to short eyepieces, adding barlows etc, but generally, it's a pretty small drawback considering the gains.

Archived