Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Baader Neodymium Filter

chunky

I use one of these. Never considered writing a review or anything else. I just use it.

So I decided to take a look at the link and compare with my views. I haven't found any reason to go against what others have written.

Yes it does what it claims. For £35 (or even £59 for the 2") in the grand scheme of astro spends it is small money well spent.

I agree with the above. This is a great filter for observing Jupiter, it does create a slight colour shift but after a short while this is not noticed any more and it certainly reduces glare, increasing detail an contrast. It's also great for looking at the moon when more than 50% illuminated (I prefer unfiltered on the <50% moon even with my 16" dob) - greatly enhances contrast and gives a natural tone.

Apart from UHC / Oiii (and a soon to be made sun filter) this is the only filter I use.

so i got the thunmbs up for buying one. does it just sit on the ep

I agree with the above comments, a great all-round planetary and lunar filter not just a light pollution filter. I use one on my diagonal rather than one on the eyepiece so that I don't have to keep moving the filter when changing eyepieces.

John

As this is described as a Light Pollution Filter, would it be of any benefit at a site with very little light pollution? I've read about increasing contrast but wonder if that would be worth the price.

Hi,

Baader Neodymium (=multiband violett; =moon & skyglow filter; =BG20) is not intended for light pollution but for increase the color contrast as it is opaque for most of the yellows. The Moon, Jupiter and Mars have a yellowish tint because our atmosphere (moon), its atmosphere (Jupiter) or its ground (Mars) are yellowish dominat and vanishing this yellowish hue, the other colors come out. In Jupiter the result is very nice. In Mars is superb when stacked with a Red (I use the Baader red RG610)

The neodymium filter was originally developed by Zeiss (Jena) and manufactured by Zeiss specifications by Schott, also in Jena. When Zeiss left the astromomical amateur division, Baader become in charge of most of it.

Note, that the results can be subbtle and not please everyone. Most of my friends enjoy of it. Respect to the light pollution, the neodymium filter is extremelly subtle, negligible. However, the filters intended for light pollution (such as LPR, CLS) has also subtle effects in polluted areas and, paradogically, offers their best in dark areas (!). Besides of that in suburban areas they gives a real green sky and stars.

Chuncky, for your 200mm Dobsonian probably the best thing to do is to get an UHC type filter, and of this type -for me- the best is the NPB. Moreover, it is the cheaper (!).

Patricio

When I observe moon and planets, I use a binoviewer with a manual filterwheel of five positions. This filter wheel has mounted: Televue Mars typ A & Typ B, Baader Red & dark blue and Neodymium.

I am not using an empty space. I am using the Neodymium as a "clear" filter (which makes parfocal the five positions), but mainly because i'm extremelly happy using it. It has a nice mauve hue and increase the details in which I'm interested. However, remember that it is my choice and preferences and yours can be radically different.

Patricio

Archived