Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Telescope adaptor for Canon G12 ?

Does anyone know if there is an adaptor which can be used to connect this camera to a telescope?

I have managed some good images by holding up to the eyepiece but would like something more proper.

I do have a dslr, but this would be a good alternative.

I would guess that you need the canon lens adapter, which then gives a 58mm filter thread. You can then get a 58-T2 converter to screw on to this (Sherwoods seem to sell these). You then need a T2 threaded eyepiece (or an adapter ring for the eyepiece - Astro Engineering used to make them, don't know if they still do) - Baader Hyperions also have some threaded system but you need an extra adapter I think.

Try googling "digiscoping".

NigelM

try Lensmate in America for a lens adaptor which will allow you to fit filters or adaptors. I have one fitted to my G9 and G2 (remember those?) and have been very pleased with them, the finish and fit are excellent. I also have some Lensmate mods fitted to my S90. You can find them here Canon PowerShot G12/G11/G10 Lensmate Products and Accessories

good luck, and Merry Christmas :-)

this is how I did it,

58mm Digital camera telescope eyepiece adapter | eBay

The G12 lens adaptor filter thread may be larger than the 58mm thread on my G9 adaptor but maybe a bigger eypiece adaptor is available. If not you might be able to find a step-down ring to 58mm

pics attached, I hope this helps.

cheers and Merry Christmas

post-22504-133877708447_thumb.jpg

post-22504-133877708473_thumb.jpg

post-22504-133877708485_thumb.jpg

no problem starman, I've tried the other type which clamps around the eyepiece and fits the tripod socket but it's a bit of a fiddle. If you go for the Lensmate adaptor you'll not be disappointed, nicely made kit, typical of the Americans. They do other Powershot goodies too :-)

• 6 years later...

Sorry to dredge up an old post.

Fairly new to Astronomy and also astrophotography. I've got a Celestron Nexstar 130SLT (130x650mm reflector) and a Canon G16. I bought the Celestron T-Adapter with 2x Barlow and a Digikit #140 T adaptor which seems to be the correct adaptor.

It's remarkable similar to geordieskies kit detailed above, hence reason for posting here.

I'm struggling to take any photos let alone good ones. Do you have any recommendations for settings?

Whilst I enjoy mucking around it would be nice to get a photo and then to experiment.

1. I presume I still need an eyepiece on the telescope, if so what sort of focal length? I  currently have 9mm and 25mm.

2. What zoom setting on G16; wideangle or telephoto?

3. What focus distance on the G16 (I've set to manual and tried everything!) ?

4. Reasonable starting apertures and shutter speeds to capture a moon shot; I'm using self timer to try to keep things as still as possible.

Any guidance or help gratefully received. however general, but specific G12/15/16 experience especially appreciated.

No experience of your camera but you don't need an eyepiece, is there a "normal" setting on the camera, not zoom or widefield.

Moon shouldn't need much exposure length, start around ISO 200, 1000 sec and experiment.

If you aim at the Moon and slide the camera in and out of the focuser with your hand to see which way gets better you can see if you need more inward or outward travel to achieve focus.

You can practice in the daylight.

Dave

25 minutes ago, Neilso said:

Sorry to dredge up an old post.

Fairly new to Astronomy and also astrophotography. I've got a Celestron Nexstar 130SLT (130x650mm reflector) and a Canon G16. I bought the Celestron T-Adapter with 2x Barlow and a Digikit #140 T adaptor which seems to be the correct adaptor.

It's remarkable similar to geordieskies kit detailed above, hence reason for posting here.

I'm struggling to take any photos let alone good ones. Do you have any recommendations for settings?

Whilst I enjoy mucking around it would be nice to get a photo and then to experiment.

1. I presume I still need an eyepiece on the telescope, if so what sort of focal length? I  currently have 9mm and 25mm.

2. What zoom setting on G16; wideangle or telephoto?

3. What focus distance on the G16 (I've set to manual and tried everything!) ?

4. Reasonable starting apertures and shutter speeds to capture a moon shot; I'm using self timer to try to keep things as still as possible.

Any guidance or help gratefully received. however general, but specific G12/15/16 experience especially appreciated.

The Canon G16 is  a compact camera (non removable lens) so you will need an eyepiece in the focuser to take photos. This is called afocal imaging.  The 25mm would be the better option of two eyepieces you have . Use the camera's zoom function to frame and crop the circular image from the eyepiece.. Initially manually focus the telescope and then attach the camera , it should then auto focus on what it sees in the eyepiece.  

Archived