SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Morris Obsy - build begins

vincentnm

Dear All,

Started the build today. I've taken the easy route - hired labour.

Shaded areas are poured concrete, running around the perimeter of the shed, at gantry posts, telescope piers.

Depth everywhere = 2 feet

As you've noticed I plan to accommodate two EQ6's.

Cheers,

Vincent.

post-14347-13387770791_thumb.jpg

post-14347-133877707914_thumb.jpg

Great stuff. I've just finished mine in time for the first snow! Hope it all goes well for you.

Although initially I will be using one large imaging rig in mine I did wonder about dual mounts for smaller scopes. How much room do you reckon you need to use two without creating an expensive astronomical fencing match?? (Eek!)

Olly

Whay another new build to follow. you wont regret it and it looks like a nice size. what are you intention for the two scopes image and visual at the same time?

built two worked on three myself so i have a reason to follow as there maybe another to assist with early next year so always keen to watch other peoples ideas and plans come to fruition.

good luck

Malcom,

I dont intend to have a warm room, I'll just run the cables straight to the living room. An active USB repeater will do nicely.

Grahame,

Both scopes will be used for imaging. One will be the C8 hyperstar for wider angles and the other C9.25 for high resolution work.

Ready mix, you lucky fella! It isn't practicable for me out in the sticks so I have a decent mixer but it ain't half hard work.

Running two rigs at the same time is fine when you have those easy nights but murder when things won't co-operate. I use mono and OSC because I think two monos/filter changes would drive me nuts.

Thanks for the input on mount spacing though.

Olly

Looking good Vincent.

The obsy will make a huge difference to you, SOOOO much easier to set up and down.

When I set the block for my pier I made a template of the holes in the pier out of hardboard, then fixed appropriate sized dowel to the centre of the holes, and then set that in the concrete. When it set I removed the template and then it was easier to drill out the dowel instead of concrete.

Definitely a thumbs up for the epoxy setting agent for the bolts, its stronger than the concrete.

Hope the rest of the build goes well, we'll be watching with interest.

Cheers

Tim

Gina, Just re-read Vincent's OP.... he hired labor to do all the digging too... OK OK I know I cheated a little and had the chap next door use a mini-excavator.... But I'm wondering just how much of the build Vince will actually do himself, and thus would be missing out on all the fun :):D

I had this vision of the complete thing already built on a low loader, being crained into position - Job done :)

Oh yes :D

Must admit, when I go into mine and it's big and strong and just what I want I feel a glow and great feeling of satisfaction. All my own work except for a day's help with the shiplap for which I'm very grateful to my two helpers - that job would have been a big struggle for me. Best part of a year's work, a lot of it hard work at that - by far the biggest project I have ever taken on. I also feel very grateful for all the advice and encouragement I have had on here from a whole bunch of helpful and friendly people. That is great in itself :)

I intend to use hired labour all the way..... Digging, concreting, even building the shed :icon_salut: I can see the brickbats coming.

With a day job and two evening businesses to run and two small kids - DIY by my own :p . Yup I am missing all the fun. I'll post a cost run down when the obsy's done.

About the piers, I have not yet decided what to go for.

Thinking of:

(1)Altair - Altair Skyshed Observatory Pier 8" OD :: Telescope Mount Accessories :: Mounts & Tripods :: Altair Astro

(2)Astro engineering - Astro Engineering AC282 Standard Pier for EQ6 (HEQ6 pro etc)

(3) DIY pier

To start with I'll continue with the EQ6 tripods. I've had them on my balcony for months at a time without having to re-polar-align.

Cheers,

Vincent.

Thinking of:

(1)Altair - Altair Skyshed Observatory Pier 8" OD*::*Telescope Mount Accessories*::*Mounts & Tripods*::*Altair Astro

(2)Astro engineering - Astro Engineering AC282 Standard Pier for EQ6 (HEQ6 pro etc)

(3) DIY pier

The AE pier looks good but, at £425, wow, think I'll continue planning to make my own. I've a length of 10" diam spiral air duct that should be excellent when filled with 'crete, and plan to hopefully use the excellent adaptors as made/supplied by the SGL member, who's name escapes me at the mo'!

I intend to use hired labour all the way..... Digging, concreting, even building the shed ;) I can see the brickbats coming.

With a day job and two evening businesses to run and two small kids - DIY by my own :) . Yup I am missing all the fun. I'll post a cost run down when the obsy's done.

Thinking of:

(1)Altair - Altair Skyshed Observatory Pier 8" OD*::*Telescope Mount Accessories*::*Mounts & Tripods*::*Altair Astro

(3) DIY pier

To start with I'll continue with the EQ6 tripods. I've had them on my balcony for months at a time without having to re-polar-align.

Cheers,

Vincent.

Maybe this guy will give you a discount for two!

BRAND NEW TELESCOPE PIER. | eBay

Archived