corrector plate scratch

after unpacking my new celestron cpc 800 i noticed a few small scratches on the front glass (corrector plate).

they are hard to spot and took a torch to spot them.

im unsure what to do now as i dont know if this would affect the performance of this scope.

so will these small scratches give me problems with viewing or AP ?

send it back or keep ? :)

They probably won't affect your viewing or imaging but, if the scope was bought new, they should not be there. They would affect the used price of the scope as you would have to mention them to a potential buyer.

If I had bought the scope new I'd be on to the supplier pretty quickly - the optics should be in mint condition.

Hi KarlyBoo,

I am with John, contact the supplier immediately & send it back. The corrector plate should be spotless, however if you shine a torch into the SCT you will be surprised at how messed up it looks, don't confuse the two.

Cheers

Yes I'd agree. Send it back if there is any damage at all as you've paid for a new scope. Even with a brand new scope though there probably will be a few dust spots inside but definitely no scratches.

It's not a difficult job to remove the corrector and clean it inside with Baader Optical Wonder Fluid. Here's my C8 just after it had been flocked and I cleaned the inside of the corrector as it was out of the scope anyway.

John

post-14522-133877708317_thumb.jpg

thanks john......seems its missing a cover on the middle collimation part too (not the full front cover)....that would or could explain why it has few scratches on glass front.....couple of finger marks too including one deep inside on the edge of bottom big mirror....im 99% sure this is a B-stock scope....no other explaination....god knows how im gonna re-pack it....was hard un-packing it :) .....what are my rights regarding this ? do i pay to send it back ?

Some companies will only entertain refund or replacement requests if the scope is sent back to them packaged as original and in selling condition (the packaging).

Funny how nothing ever goes back into the box(s) the way it came out.

I did a check on my SCT plate and mirror with a bright torch. Not even a speck of dust on either.

Hope you get this issue resolved quickly and hassle free.

Olly is correct, if it is a reputable company there should be no bother, as the onus is on them to replace faulty items under the sale of goods act, I am sure they do not want you to report the matter to trading standards, if they say it was like that as received from the supplier, the responsibility still lies with them as the seller. It is a question of how you feel about it, they are marked and damaged goods, sold as new then your seller should, by rights, arrange for the collection and replacement, however if the problem is only slight and you can live with it you could negotiate for a refund of some of your outlay and still retain your rights under warranty, best of luck :)

thanks for all your advice....ive now contacted the supplier and they are replacing it with another one ......because of the holiday period (celestron closed til jan 3rd) the supplier has told me i can still use it in the mean time until fedex pic it up.....but i will just box it up and use my 12" dob for now....so far the service ive had has been great and very understanding.....i will just put this down to being a tad unlucky as celestron have a good rep ive been told.....anyway...upwards and onwards :)

thanks...karly :(

And this thread also brings home the fact of dealing with a respected outlet, not necessarily the cheapest, just to save yourself a few pounds, but a dealer who has a track record to go with his sales, that way the hassle and worry of having to argue about faulty goods and their return to the supplier is eliminated. A Happy Christmas to all and to those with new gear coming, may the clouds not be with you :)

And this thread also brings home the fact of dealing with a respected outlet, not necessarily the cheapest, just to save yourself a few pounds, but a dealer who has a track record to go with his sales, that way the hassle and worry of having to argue about faulty goods and their return to the supplier is eliminated. A Happy Christmas to all and to those with new gear coming, may the clouds not be with you :)

Well said. The sign of a good dealer is how they deal with problems.

The flipside of this is that a reputable dealer might not have sold what appears to be B stock to a customer....

The flipside of this is that a reputable dealer might not have sold what appears to be B stock to a customer....

These days so many dealers drop ship from a central warehouse, so don't get sight of the goods before shipping.

At work, the alarm bells ring if anything comes in with a slightly battered box, or two lots of sellotape closing the box.

Unfortunately a reputable dealer is all too often in the hands of someone in a warehouse. This person may have no product knowledge and has only been in the job for a week. Add to this minimum wage and possibly a temporary job and there is a recipe for problems. Inadvertently mixing the broken and new product is all too easy.

Archived