NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

1st proper image with the TS SuperNewt @ F2.8 : Double Cluster

Catanonia

I am still struggling with the collimation of this fast scope as the full sized image will show. (The comet trails and defocus on lower part of the image will show this clearly)

But progressing is good and slow in this miserable weather grabbing clear patches before the storms hit yet again, I managed to get the collimation done again, but I still have issues. However best of all, I got the TS OAG working with decent (ish) guiding as well :) So I can confirm that it is possible to use this scope with the QHY9, TSOAG and 2inch QHY filter wheel and still get stars in the OAG and focus.

I really wanted to see what this bad boy scope could do compared to the MN190 even if not set up perfectly. Just call me impatient :)

Pointing straight up at Zenith I grabbed 22 x 1 minute subs per channel = total 88 minutes unbinned LRGB with the QHY9 CCD. This would normally have been 3.5 minute or more subs with the MN190. Or more simply roughly 1.5 hours compared to nearly 6 hours on the MN190 @F5.3

Flats were fun, although they are not perfect and looking at the image as it was a strange experience trying not to flood the CCD well doing flats. Ended up with 9 second flats in the end when I got it sorted. Another thing to sort out :( Forgot the darks, I don't have any 1 minute ones :( , another one for the list to do :)

It also looks like that I encountered a lot of high cloud fighting the weather and the moon as well.

But it is an image, so here it is.

I know I have a few doubters out there that want me to fail with this scope. I have no idea why, but that is life I suppose. I see it as a challenge and I will gladly take it to keep the interest and fun going.

Next up, get the darn collimation sorted, I feel a CatEye investment soon to do this right. Been reading up and watching the vids on the Cats Eyes

For those that are interested in the scope and how it performs, here is the full sized image, with no cropping. The good and the bad :p

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/10801850/Astro%20Pictures/Large%20Files/Double%20Cluster%20SuperNewt.jpg 11mb warning

All processed in PI, Maxim, CS5 and mounted on a NEQ6Pro with PHD via QHY5 / PHD. No noise processing done, with 22 subs per channel, it wasn't needed although it stretched the PC processing it all. 2GB of data in all for about an hour and a half including 21 flats :)

A few more things ticked off, just the big Collimation to sort out now :(

Cat

post-16631-133877705624_thumb.jpg

I know I have a few doubters out there that want me to fail with this scope

I am new here so missed out on the background to that. I for one salute you for trying this out and I am very impressed with that image!!

Keep them coming!

Looks to me like the focuser is possibly not square? Maybe a teeny bit of slop in the focuser is the cause? I have a similer issue with my Altair newt and Baader Steeltrack, not as bad as yours is but then mine is running at F4

That's starting to look REALLY good! :-)

Is that really whispy dust starting to show up in the background already?! If so that's pretty impressive! It's only with these insanely fast systems you start to get the impression there isn't ANY clear black sky anywhere when you're pointing the scope into the plane of the Milkyway :-) EVERYWHERE is actually dust and nebula!!!

Ben

That's starting to look REALLY good! :-)

Is that really whispy dust starting to show up in the background already?! If so that's pretty impressive! It's only with these insanely fast systems you start to get the impression there isn't ANY clear black sky anywhere when you're pointing the scope into the plane of the Milkyway :-) EVERYWHERE is actually dust and nebula!!!

Ben

mmm, hadn't thought of whispy gas in the MW, just assumed it was high clouds. Will take another look at the subs.

Will strip down and check the focuser again.

There is a lot to admire in this result, notably the intense star colour which reminds me of Harel's images. Now OK, I am guilty of being a doubter, and admit it, but I certainly don't want you to fail, I very much want you to succeed. It is the mechanical integrity needed for a 20 micron focal depth, along with the collimation, that generate my doubts. But the thing is, you're up for it and good on 'yer. Keep at it.

Olly

Just a reminder...the depth of focus at f2.8 is around 20 micron!

(A normal human hair is 70 micron diameter!)

Very, very sensitive!

take your time.....

Yeah noticed that with the focusing. The 10:1 ratio needs a little turn on the small wheel to put it in and out of focus :)

Luckily the Baader Steeltrack is very smooth.

Steve, first of all its a good start but as you say there are some issues. I think the problem with the odd shaped stars could be a number of things already mentioned by others. It may take you some time to iron out the problems. Once you have your collimation issues sorted out you can improve the edge of field performance by reducing your back focus from 65mm to 63mm if your set up allows, this extends the FOV by 5mm according to ASA, Also focusing on a star 2 thirds away from the centre of the image.

I know I have a few doubters out there that want me to fail with this scope. I have no idea why, but that is life I suppose. I see it as a challenge and I will gladly take it to keep the interest and fun going.

Of course there are doubters but there is no point taking it personally, there are those who have had newts and know the dificulties of collimation and also how accurate the mechanics of the scope need to be for good collimation, I held off from buying a newt years ago because of this. F2.8 is a challenge and you will probably always be tinkering with the collimation on that scope to get it to perform. However If all you want to hear is the good stuff?

Look forward to seeing your progress.

Cheers

Nah, I'd stick with the story that it's feint dust picked up by the super-fast optics Cat ;-)

I figured over an hour or so of imaging, given the wind, clouds certainly wouldn't stay in the same place long enough to give a pattern like that.... but yeah, off-flats could certainly account for it too.

Still very cool :-)

Ben

Archived