Telescope Storage Question

I've just made a box for mine so I can keep it safe in the garage. I used the plans in Sky at Night magazine. Unlike their wimpy version I built mine out of 18mm pine furniture board. Should keep it nic and safe.

How funny - I was about to post a similar question.

I have seen advice on here saying that it is better to store the 'scope off of the mount so as not to place strain on the mount gears or, IIRC, for fear of wearing the gears in the same place.

I always store my newts vertically, with the primary mirror end on the floor... but I've recently got an SCT and obviously you can store it with the primary 'down' as it were because of the visual back...

SCT owners, do you store your vertically, scope corrector plate down, or horizontally?

I too can not move mine setup with out removing the OTA. My carpentry skills are not up to those of others on the thread so I purchase this Buy John Lewis Heywood Linen Bin online at JohnLewis.com - John Lewis as well as some foam to pad it out. A bit of a squeeze to get the OTA in but it's easily manageable and very reassuring.

How funny - I was about to post a similar question.

I have seen advice on here saying that it is better to store the 'scope off of the mount so as not to place strain on the mount gears or, IIRC, for fear of wearing the gears in the same place.

I always store my newts vertically, with the primary mirror end on the floor... but I've recently got an SCT and obviously you can store it with the primary 'down' as it were because of the visual back...

SCT owners, do you store your vertically, scope corrector plate down, or horizontally?

CPC's rest with the plate down when in standby, if that is any help

Archived