Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M42 composite

Spikey

My first attempt at a composite and I thinik it's turned out quite well.

The long exposure image is a stack of approx 1.5 hours of 3 min subs, ED80 pro with 0.8 F/R, Canon 1000D controlled with APT & SW LP filter. Guided with ST80, Atik 16ic and PHD.

Short exposures are 10 x 20-30 seconds with the same equipment.

Darks and flats applied to both sets of images and stacked in DSS.

I used PS 7 and followed a layer mask tutorial to achieve the end result.

I have akso tweaked the levels and curves but only very slightly as my meddling only seemed to make the picture look worse.

spikey-albums-dso-s-picture14758-m42-composite.jpg

Thanks for the positive comments. I've oriented the picture now and added a touch more colour at the expense of a touch of nebulosity but I think it gives it a slightly more contrasty look.

I'm keen to add a load more data to this as I'm sure like many of us it was the first nebula I had ever oggled through the EP :)

spikey-albums-dso-s-picture14771-m42-comp-2-right-way-up-2.jpg

I did try to add some more data but the clouds scuppered most of my subs so instead I've had a final play and stretched the trapezium layer mask slightly more. Also knocked down a bit of the RGB and a touch of Red to try and improve the noise.

Thankyou for the kind comments and advice I have received, it is appreciated.

spikey-albums-dso-s-picture14807-m42-sideways.jpg

Archived