Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Has anyone actually purchased an EQP for their dob ??

spaceboy

Spaceboy, I've decided to build my own as a project for the New Year, I'm drawing up plans and will source the materials and parts soon, so hopefully I should have one for my Dob. I guess it's cheaper than buying one and certainly more enjoyable building it. It would be interesting to know if anyone here has purchased an EQ mount from equatorial-platforms-uk like you say, and their performance as they obviously sell...:)

and their performance as they obviously sell...:(

You would think wouldn't you. I'm not so sure though? I currently have my dob & EQP for sale offering a beginner the opportunity to own a large aperture dob with tracking capabilities yet there has been a surprising lack of interest given how much EQ platforms UK charge just for an EQP. Which led me to the conclusion dose anyone actually buy EQP's ????

I know I made mine but I have the materials & tools to do so but this is not the case for everyone.

I have to admit coming from an EQ mount to a dob I did hate nudging more so than I suspect most dob user do ? My whole EP collection was based on keeping nudging to a minimum and the first wind of EQP's actually working my platform was made :).

I suspect many people don't know what they do nor appreciate that you can put any of your scopes on them assuming you dimension it accordingly. plus it can be a lead in to AP as you can also (with more careful polar alignment) get relatively long exposures with just a camera on a tripod.

I suspect many people don't know what they do nor appreciate that you can put any of your scopes on them assuming you dimension it accordingly. plus it can be a lead in to AP as you can also (with more careful polar alignment) get relatively long exposures with just a camera on a tripod.

Shane, I think that's right, if more folk were made aware of the capacity to which the EQP could be utilised then they might be more interested.

I haven't even considered an EQP. I guess because I have a couple of EQ mounts and the dob just sits on the floor for visual use.

I was worried about nudging before I bought it. I am dyslexic and with the EQ hand sets I have no idea which button to press to move the scope in the right direction. I just press one, watch which way the star moves and then try a different button until I get the movement I want.

I was very worried I would be forever nudging the dob the wrong way and loosing the object but I haven't had the slightest bother. It's been a wonderful sense of freedom to just be able to poke the thing to where you want it.

I was following Jupiter tonight at 342x for while. The view was rubbish (far too high for the conditions) but I could still keep the planet in view without a fuss.

So as for me, I don't have need of an EQP.

Regards your HC Rik have you tried sticking some thing on the direction pads ? Coloured or shaped stickers so that you can identify them that way.

It's a nice idea, but you have to press different buttons pre and post meridian flip so I wouldn't know how to label them.

It's funny the things I have trouble with. I'm a voracious reader, I am department head at work (research and development), I edit the newsletter for Cotswold AS but give me a stencil with a word cut-out and I will tell you what the word says, but I couldn't tell you which way round or even which way up it should be.

I must admit I would like to give some short exposure imaging a try before I see the back of it. I know PA is a bit hit and miss with them but I'm sure with an IR EP I might be able to drift align to some degree ??? Would be certainly easier and more beneficial to image with the 10" under dark skies.

I bought an EQP for my dob and I'm very pleased with it. Nudging is ok but not nudging is way better. I wouldn't be without it now.

As for the expense, sure they are expensive. For me the question was about time as opposed to money, I have too many commitments to spend hours constructing one myself. The hourly rate I assign to my spare time made purchasing one a sensible decision.

As with all things YMMV

Adrian

I don't know what I'm doing wrong then :) as I'm basically throwing in a modded 10" dob for only £60 over EQP UK prices.

If I were you I would sell them seperately. I wanted an EQP because I had a dob already... I doubt someone with a dob would buy your package and then try to sell the dob - too much hassle.

I know this offers for an easier sale but I don't see the point in it gathering dust while I try to sell it. At least this way I get the best of both worlds when I want to use it. Don't get me wrong I am open to offers but now my EP case is lighter these days keeping/selling them together is more appealing.

Do you have a picture of yours Gaz. Before I made mine I looked into the various types and I don't remember coming across a round table platform.

Yep, they are on a memory card somewhere. I'll try and dig it out (famous last words!).

Archived