SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

1st Jupiter and 1st Saturn

mpeniak

These are my first pictures of Jupiter and Saturn taken yesterday from the centre of Plymouth. :)

Got C8 without motors + toucam + 2 x barlow

How can I take closer images? Do I have to use 3x barlow or is there any other option please?

Martin

post-13530-133877328121_thumb.png

post-13530-133877328127_thumb.jpg

Martin, that's a super image. Did you use registax? As for the size, if you didn't resize the image using drizzle or whatever you can give that a go maybe. Basically there's two options for you, a longer focal length (ooer) or use software, sampling etc.

Is this a stacked or single image ?

Good caputre either way if you were adjusting the tracking by hand.

Is the C8 the Sct version or Newt ?

Thank you

It is stacked image using C8 newtonian ;-)

A C8 newtonian? Ahh the C8N? The C8 is an 8" f/10 SCT the C8N is the 8" f/5 newt

Your 2 images are excellent, especially the jupiter one as he is still quite low.

Sorry its C8N then, did not know that just C8 was different scope :police:

Martin, that's a super image. Did you use registax? As for the size, if you didn't resize the image using drizzle or whatever you can give that a go maybe. Basically there's two options for you, a longer focal length (ooer) or use software, sampling etc.

Thanks :police: Yep, I used registax. Both pictures were stacked up from around 4000 frames each :D

Martin

Excellent work Martin, esp Jupiter which is difficult being so low. Looks like you had good seeing on the night. Well done for good manual tracking as well, guess you got a reasonable polar alignment and controlled things with the RA slo mo.

For best image scale you should aim to get up to F20, sometimes a bit more. Your scope is F5 so with your barlow you were at F10. A x3 barlow would be better (Tal do a decent quality cheap one http://www.firstlightoptics.co.uk/products.php?cat=44). Beyond this you are looking at powermates which are a lot more expensive. The only problem for you is that with the greater magnifications you will have more trouble controlling the guide with the unmotorised mount.

My scope is F5 also and I have been dissappointed with the image size too. I'm ok with the x2 barlow but with my x3 I just can't seem to nail the focus. I also bought an adaptor for eyepiece projection, but again, I find good focus nearly impossible. I'm seriously considering buying one of the Skywatcher Maksutov's, something around F12, just for the planets. :police:

Archived