Telrad Alternative

Thanks for the info guys. The Telrad looks like it fits quite flat to the OTA though, am I likely to have a similar problem in viewing through it as I do with the stock finderscope?

you can buy riser blocks, but the cost mounts up too.

theres one on e bay goin 2nd hand with dew shield,that may be an option.

alternitively the rigel stands higher

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's exactly what I have and I do rather like the weapons style build. Mine even came with rifle mounting instructions!

Russell

Yep, mine came with the rifle mounting instructions as well. I am now trying to figure out how i can convince the wife that a .22 is an essential piece of astro kit :)

I use a telrad AND a right angled finder in light polluted skies, they work well together.

the good thing about telrads is you can view from 6 feet away and still see the centre circle.

I thought Telescope House had some last time I heard. I have two but I'm not selling!

Thanks for the info guys. The Telrad looks like it fits quite flat to the OTA though, am I likely to have a similar problem in viewing through it as I do with the stock finderscope?

This is one area where the Rigel Quikfinder scores - it's small "footprint" means you can place it right at the top of the tube. The Telrad is 21cm long with the view screen at the back so the Quikfinder view screen could be i) about 16cm further forward on the tube and ii) the view screen stands around 2cm higher off the tube than a Telrad's (assuming that no riser is used on the latter).

Small points of course and many folks, including me, are happy with a Telrad in it's standard form. I happen to like the Quikfinder too :)

I've managed to find a Telrad, thanks for the pointers guys.

Just one more question, will my 8" dob withstand the weight of both the standard finderscope and the Telrad?

Apparently the Telrad, is very simple to secure to the OTA with the provided sticky Velcro, which is reassuring.

Just obtained my Telrad from RVO. Prompt service, now I just need to learn how to use it. Roll on the Christmas holiday, so I can have some late nights!:)

Dil, Really good supplier, I got a delivery from RVO last week and a great piece of kit. This video is good too, posted by Cyber Bill:

:)

Maybe not quite the worst mistake I've ever made but selling my Telrad withh a 150 mm Newt is near the top.

Have a Rigel and the Williams/whatever as well. Telrad could survive a tsunami whereas I'm frightened to sneeze near the Quickfinder and the image seems not so bright and sometimes hard to locate. The last is probably attributable to me. That 4 degree circle is missed as well.

Perfection would be a Williams/whatever with the three circles instead of one of the pretties at present fitted. Then the Telrad maps can be used.

Archived