NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

My little stargazer...

My eldest is 5 years old and he's obsessed with space. He loves to look through my 'scope (Explorer 200P) but it can prove difficult as I normally have to lift him up to see which is rather impractical.

Can anybody recommend a solution of any kind that would enable him to view in comfort?

Thanks!

John

I have a small stepladder that would work but he doesn't feel safe on it ;) I was thinking more along the lines of something that fits to the eyepiece or the focus tube; an extension tube of some kind, if such a thing exists? I will keep searching the online stores but I haven't found anything yet...

Buy him his own scope. You can get a reasonable second hand scope for not much money, it'll be his, with all the pride of ownership that'll give, and if he eventually gets bored you can sell it on to the next little stargazer.

Another 'scope is a bit out of my budget unfortunately, as is a CCD! I have a DSLR which attaches to the scope and control software so that the shots appear on the screen, but he prefers to see the view with his own eyes rather than on a laptop! If anybody has seen 'The Knowing' with Nicolas Cage, at the start of the film he's looking at Saturn through his 'scope. The viewer he's using appears to attach the the focus tube at a right angle. I've searched for something like this with no results.

I think the important thing about the film still you posted is the posture of the actor - his relaxed, intense look. The scope has been arranged around that look and merely has to look plausible.

I think the important thing about the film still you posted is the posture of the actor - his relaxed, intense look. The scope has been arranged around that look and merely has to look plausible.

yes, as plausible as the plot of Knowing. ;)

Contact is better anyway..

What, don't you believe in aliens? The truth is out there, Scully!

Back to the drawing board I guess!

lol ;)

seriously, back to the thread; there must be similar attachments for scopes, prehaps like the old Mersenne Telescopes, which allowed people in wheelchairs to view through the secondary?

I'm sure they are still available? ;)

Archived