Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Why is "Search" so difficult.....

As you may imagine, many of the Newbie questions have been asked on the forum before (some have been asked MANY times!)

Why is it so difficult for the beginner to use the Search Tab before starting another thread?? or checking out the numerous "Stickies"

( I asked my daughter - she said "why search when I know you'll give me the answer!!)

Maybe we spoil the beginners too much......

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's good to combine both searching and asking questions. Sometimes reading a few other questions similar to your own will help you shape yours to fit your specific needs a bit better.

I think the only time I raise my eyebrows about a question is where virtually the same issue has been raised and has had responses just a few posts down the page :icon_confused:

But we do say "there is no such thing as a silly question" and mean it I think :rolleyes:

I'd like to hear a beginners take on it....

(I think it's like reading the manual, or checking your insurance policy...you only do it after the fact!)

Read the manual ???? wash your mouth out with soap and water.

I tend to agree, there are a lot of very similar basic questions that get asked on a daily basis. I try to use search as much as possible or goto people who I know have the answers (Thank you Ken :icon_confused: )

The search can throw up some interesting diversions from the basic question being asked which can be more interesting and informative and the more you read the more you think you know :rolleyes:

im relatively new to the site and ive posted a couple of threads myself which no doubt have been asked before. i have looked at alot of threads on here and searched google quite alot about things i want to know. but when i posted a thread and was getting replies, it felt good that people were taking time to look at and answer "MY" questions it made me feel apart of your community.

so yes i could of searched for the answer myself but i wanted to be apart of the community not just an observer.

i am not saying that every noob feels the same, some might just be lazy lol, but thats how i felt and it is good to be apart of it rather than on the outside looking in.

clear skies

martin

Martin,

If you've done a search and found the answer, you can still contribute by posting a message of your success to encourage others....

It would be gratifying at times to hear that beginners solved their problem..."and here are the results - by the way I also found this link/ piece of equipment/ set-up etc very useful"

I always search before I ask knowing full well whatever I'm wondering about will definitely have come up before.

Sometimes though it's impossible to see the wood for the trees if you want to know the answer to a very specific question.

I think a lot of new members probably are not aware of or don't know how to use the search facility (it took me time to start using search). It's a bit like newbies to Windows, they always seem to ask how to do something instead of finding the answer for themselves.

As you may imagine, many of the Newbie questions have been asked on the forum before (some have been asked MANY times!)

Why is it so difficult for the beginner to use the Search Tab before starting another thread?? or checking out the numerous "Stickies"

( I asked my daughter - she said "why search when I know you'll give me the answer!!)

Maybe we spoil the beginners too much......

I think if anyone doesn't like answering questions from newbs, they shouldn't really be a member of a forum. (This is a FORUM & not a search engine.)

Yes it's probably easier for newcomers to Google their questions but the more experienced members could do that too.

People probably prefer input from real people who are seasoned astronomers.

Or we could just use this:- Let me google that for you every time a question is asked.

Coming from the other angle. Considering the thorough responses most newb questions get, (irrespective of the amount of times they've been asked before) i would suggest that many people enjoy answering them. If they didn't they wouldn't.

I actually think this attitude is what makes this forum different from any other forum (inc non astro) in my experience.

I think if anyone doesn't like answering questions from newbs, they shouldn't really be a member of a forum

I think there are over 6000 members on SGL, and probably less than 100 who answer the majority of the questions.

May be I need to have a "trial separation"

Also, if newbies search for a specific topic, they often get numerous threads, but don't know which will have their specific question.

For example: search for "eyepiece" and you get 500 threads, search for "what scope" and you get just as many!

That this community has a search facility shouldn't detract from the fact that's is main purpose is for the personal discussion of astronomy topics. I really don't believe anyone with a question to ask should feel obliged to search for an answer in isolation when there is a whole community here to have a nice cosy chat with. Some folk slike to be spoon fed, and indeed some like to spoon feed, most are simply looking for a little bit of personal support and reassurance.

I've spent the last 5 years mostly answering the same basic questions about EQMOD software. That really doesn't bother me though because whilst the questions are the same the folks asking them are always different, with different interests, equipment, aspirations etc. For me the potential frustration of answering a question for the umpteenth time pales into insignificance compared to the benefits of making new contacts and friends.

Chris.

Hi, I'm new on here as a poster but have been 'lurking' for a couple of months. I have used the search option extensively to get answers to my questions before buying my first scope for over twenty years. After all the advice I received (second-hand) on here I am now the very happy owner of a Skywatcher Skyliner 200p a Telrad and a couple of extra eyepieces too.

So thanks to everyone who as provided the answers to other peoples questions ( however oft they've been asked) and thanks to Merlin66 for this thread which prompted me to finally post something.

Beginners Help and Advice The place to come for help and advice with astronomy. Feel free to post any questions you need assistance with and people will be glad to help.
I think this sums it up for me and it is this attitude that makes the forum so great.

Archived