Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kunming united

Are the range of refractor telescopes from this company different or indeed any better than the syntra refractors, i see they make the 4" f11 that becomes the lyra optics scope, and a few people on here are very happy with this model

They manufacture are number scopes for different vendors to spec, Ikharous being one brand name... At least they come with better focusers then stock Skywatchers.

very true about the focuser, they look well made, but i have yet to try one

I think they market themselves as a level up from the synta stock. I have an orion 4" , same spec as the ikh and astro tech same telescope made for different vendors - and they are not as cheaply put together as synta stock! They I believe also make the wide angle eyepieces for several vendors such as meade.

andrew

At least Glen at Lyra Optics actually adjusts and star tests every scope before shipping....

I've communicated with Glen a few times and he seems a good guy :rolleyes:

The implication of the above is slightly worrying though if your source of one of these scopes is not such a credible and knowledgeable dealer, ie; just a box shifter :icon_confused:

I've communicated with Glen a few times and he seems a good guy :rolleyes:

The implication of the above is slightly worrying though if your source of one of these scopes is not such a credible and knowledgeable dealer, ie; just a box shifter :icon_confused:

No such implication, i have heard nothing but Stirling words where glen and lyra are concerned, and it seems that in the uk lyra is about the only source that im aware of, a company in the US market this OTA under the "Astro" brand, it was this name that lead me to finding out about the Kunming brand, i have bought a little "Astro" vintage and i was researching the name. Incidentally the little d60 f700 astro turned out to be the same scope as the prinz astral 400, under a different name

They I believe also make the wide angle eyepieces for several vendors such as meade.

Not Meade, no. Meade eyepieces are made by JOC - with Explore Scientific being part of that particular group.

Kunming supply the SWAs for William Optics, the EDs sold as XCel by Celestron (or as Epic by Orion), and the UWANs as sold by William Optics (and sold as Nirvanas by Sky-Watcher). Also they do the Flat Fields (for Sky-Watcher) and the Sky-Watcher Aeros.

I had the Orion USA ED Doublet 102mm F7 for 5 years which was Kunming / United Optics and it was a super piece of kit. As has already been said they are badged under altair,WO etc. The Megrez 102 was optically the same scope but just had the WO focuser I think also the lyra 4" achro looks to have exactly the same mechanics as well.

They are well built and IMHO are better made than SW.

I particularly liked the pearlescent white finish on mine.

It was a great visual scope and a respectable imaging scope although the doublet did have a little colour. I parted with it with regret only because I had an FLT98 to replace it

Philj

No such implication, i have heard nothing but Stirling words where glen and lyra are concerned, and it seems that in the uk lyra is about the only source that im aware of, a company in the US market this OTA under the "Astro" brand, it was this name that lead me to finding out about the Kunming brand, i have bought a little "Astro" vintage and i was researching the name. Incidentally the little d60 f700 astro turned out to be the same scope as the prinz astral 400, under a different name

I think you might have misunderstood my post :icon_confused:

I was praising Glen and his approach but wondering what the quality control direct from the manufacturer was like which is what the buyer might get if the purchase was though a source that did not perform the pre-sales checks / adjustments that Glen does.

I have that orion 102 and it is well made compact and fine optical instrument. My grab and go of choice - in fact i see no need to get a larger telescope at present as it perfectly meets my observing needs. With the dew shield closed it is more compact than a SW80ED!

I think you might have misunderstood my post :icon_confused:

I was praising Glen and his approach but wondering what the quality control direct from the manufacturer was like which is what the buyer might get if the purchase was though a source that did not perform the pre-sales checks / adjustments that Glen does.

Not so much a case of misunderstanding, more of "high lighting just what a good job glen does with marketing this attractive telescope

I think I should have put "adjust if needed when he checks the scope". You never know if the scope could have been knocked out of alignment or suffered some other damage on it's way from the far east.

John

That makes sense John. The quality of Chinese made equipment seems to be pretty consistent these days. Personally I would get some comfort from knowing that someone with some expertise had given the scope a "once over" before sending in on it's way to me.

Archived