NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SCT collimation - should I go for better?

I was quite amazed at how good the collimation of my SCT was 'out of the box'.

Visual star tests looked pretty good to me, although I am blighted by a severe chunck of astigmatism which - even when corrected by specs or contact lenses - makes this kind of judgement quite hard for me.

Anyway, in between an imaging run on Jupiter tonight I slewed to Hamal to refocus. I decided to do a quick capture on the defocused star and the result is below. I had the capture software maxed out (highest gain, maximum exposure, and 5 fps) and this is the resulting stack. Seems to show a slight skewing and my question is, is this good enough on my f/10 SCT or should I re-collimate? I ask just because the star test looked OK to my naked (and not very good) eye and I am not sure if other artifacts might be present (seeing was pretty poor when I captured this). Not sure if stacking to check collimation is even valid!

Thoughts very welcome!

post-24484-133877697571_thumb.jpg

My daylight rough collimation had got the startest to a similar position as in your pic.

Before adjustment, the view of Jupiter had a sort of misty washed out look. After adjustment(primary mirror in my case), the difference was like a punch to the face. Pow. Sharp contrasty image.

Whilst my scope is a Tal 200K, I'd reckon the end results for you should be similar.

Cheers,

Andy.

Archived