Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Televue 32mm Plossl

sublime_mick

little birthday treat for myself - after lots of reading i took the plunge and got my 1st televue lens

I upgraded from antares 32mm plossl (which I'll probably now try and sell)

Got about 30mins of clear skies last night and decided to give it a go - only got jupiter between the clouds but enough for a wow factor - glad I gave the united v benfica game a miss.

so haven't really got to play with it properly. (my finderscope was out of action - so wasn't able to go looking for something further afield )

the views were so clear and crisp - much sharper than with the antares 32mm plossl. however it will take a while to get used to viewing through it - very different viewing experience to the anatares EP (which i find easier to use)

hopefully someone can explain why.

I don't wear glasses - tho' i've never had my eyes tested

is there a technique for the televue 32mm plossl?

I also have an antares 2x barlow -

if you were to recommend 2 other EPs to make a nice little set - what would you recommend (to cover all from planets to DSO) bearing in mind i'm a complete novice?

i bought my explorer 200 2nd hand - and have the EPs which came with it and then 32mm 12.5mm and 6mm Antares plossls.

do tv naglers work well with fast scopes?

is there a technique for the televue 32mm plossl?

do tv naglers work well with fast scopes?

The TV 32mm Plossl has very long eyerelief, so you need to hold your eye away from the eyepiece to avoid blackouts. After a few sessions, you will get used to it. Televue do make an eyepiece extender to fix this, but after a while you will probably get used to it as it is.

Oh yes the Naglers are very nice in fast scopes !!

( All TV EPs work well with fast scopes )

Regards, Ed.

Edit - link to eyepiece extender http://www.televue.com/engine/TV3_page.asp?id=158

Tele Vue eyepieces are designed and individually tested to work excellently in scopes as fast as F/4.

The extensive testing and quality control is one of the things that contributes to the price that they charge for their items.

I find with mine that if you have the eyecup up (I usually fold mine down on other eyepieces) then your eye socket when gently placed on the rubber is in the perfect spot. as others say, yu'll get the hang of it quickly enough.

It's a great eyepiece and my widefield choice with my 6" f11. not so good in faster scopes (partic. my f4) for me but that's to do with exit pupil not the eyepiece itself.

this link would recommend 13mm Nagler and a 9mm Nagler to complete my set -

what are the main advantages over 15mm and 8mm televue plossls?

Much wider field and increased sharpness in my experience. If you do not wear glasses, the 13 and 9 have sufficient eye relief (12mm), against 10 and 6 mm for the 15 and 8mm Plossls respectively.

In my case, they don't compete. Radians have more eye relief than most Naglers, especially at short focal lengths (I have the Type 4 Naglers and the 31mm Type 5, these have sufficient eye relief). In terms of sharpness and contrast, I am happy with the Radians, but you do notice the much smaller FOV, once you have been spoilt by Naglers. :)

In my case, they don't compete. Radians have more eye relief than most Naglers, especially at short focal lengths (I have the Type 4 Naglers and the 31mm Type 5, these have sufficient eye relief). In terms of sharpness and contrast, I am happy with the Radians, but you do notice the much smaller FOV, once you have been spoilt by Naglers. :)

building myself up for the naglers - and hoping someone will talk me out of it - by offering something just as good for a lot less.

thinking of buying online from USA, having them delivered to my friend and have him post them to Northern Ireland for me - 13mm and 9mm Naglers - pair for around £350 as opposed top £420

You could check out Nirvana EPs, they get a good press. I must say I really enjoy my Naglers and Radians. Both types give really good views. The narrower FOV of the Radians is not a real problem when looking at planets. I have not compared the with Naglers at the same magnification.

William Optics UWAN's / Skywatcher Nirvana's do perform to a level that is very, very close to that of the equivalent Naglers and for a fair amount less in cost terms.

I used to have an "all Nagler" set from the 31 T5 to the 2.5mm T6 a while back. Then I bought an Ethos .......... :)

William Optics UWAN's / Skywatcher Nirvana's do perform to a level that is very, very close to that of the equivalent Naglers and for a fair amount less in cost terms.

I used to have an "all Nagler" set from the 31 T5 to the 2.5mm T6 a while back. Then I bought an Ethos .......... :)

was looking at the ethos range - now if i sold one of my mountain bikes...

will check out the nirvanas folks.

A 10mm Ethos would be very nice in your scope :)

telescopehouse.com sell the Televue range amongst others and they often have 10% off around bank holidays and christmas. Might be less hassle than buying from the US.

i'd have to sneak an ethos into the collection - if my wife ever found out i spent that much money an 1 ep - i'd be seeing plenty of stars without the need for a telescope.

even with a 10% discount - depending on the exchange rate - uk retailers come nowhere near their American counterparts.

i think green witch has best price on naglers at £213 a pop - my first search in the US had them at £175 - i'm sure with a bit more searching I could find them cheaper.

handy having friends based in the US - pick up these kinda things a lot more cheaply

mind you - i'm now looking at the nirvanas

This is not a justification that would probably work with your wife but I found that 1 Ethos replaced 2 Naglers in a number of cases.

1 ethos would probably mean having to replace 1 NAG-ler -

the 13mm ethos - with my barlow - would save me having to buy a 13mm and 9mm nagler

The TV 32mm Plossl has very long eyerelief, so you need to hold your eye away from the eyepiece to avoid blackouts. After a few sessions, you will get used to it. Televue do make an eyepiece extender to fix this, but after a while you will probably get used to it as it is.

Oh yes the Naglers are very nice in fast scopes !!

( All TV EPs work well with fast scopes )

Regards, Ed.

Edit - link to eyepiece extender Tele Vue Optics: Eyeguard Extender

cheers Ed

still haven't had a clear night to practice and get the hang of viewing thru the TV.

now to decide which EPs to get next - 2 Naglers or 1 Ethos

decisions!!!!

Archived