Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Revelation 100mm f/6 APO Grab'n'Go Setup

johninderby

Revelation 100mm f/6 APO Grab'n'Go Setup

Got the Revelation 100mm f/6 APO from Earl last weekend to replace the 80mm APO I was using for my grab'n'go scope. It's a bit heavier but still fairly compact with the dew shield retracted. I bought the Manfrotto 475 geared tripod a few years ago and also got one of the Manfrotto 405 geared heads. The 405 head has been modified by removing the centre section which not only makes it stronger and reduces weight, but puts the slow-mo knobs in just the right place. I'm using a Farpoint Vixen type dovetail saddle to help with balancing.

Makes a nice sturdy but light weight Alt-Az set-up that will handle up to a C8 SCT, although that's pushing the weight limit. Got quite a shock when I checked out the latest prices for the tripod and head. They would now cost about £500.00. :) Glad I bought it when it was a couple of hundred quid less.

-- 100mm ED objective with 600mm focal length

-- Very compact (55cm) thanks to retractable dew shield

-- 2.7" linear power focuser

-- 1:11 dual speed focuser

-- CNC machined tube rings

John

post-14522-133877696589_thumb.jpg

post-14522-133877696597_thumb.jpg

post-14522-133877696605_thumb.jpg

looks very nice John, wish i`d had it now, have you had any chance to try it out yet ?

Tonight will be the first light. Just popped it outside to cool-down but it still showed a fairly sharp image of Jupiter despite having only just come out of a warm house. I used to have one of these a couple of years ago and found it to be an excellent visual scope.

John

I'm not intending to do any imaging with it as it's just going to be a visual grab'n'go scope, but I'd imagine it would be OK as it's not too slow and has a very good focuser.

It's replacing the 80mm APO that I'm selling and the money from that should just about pay for the new one.

John

Archived