NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Butterfly Nebula Rework

steppenwolf

You can tell it's been cloudy here the last couple of nights! Having seen the smaller stars in RobH's recent image of this region, I had a go at reducing the stars in my original image. Unfortunately, Rob's actual method didn't work for me but that will be down to me, not Rob! I took advantage of the rework time to adjust the overall contrast of the image so here's a before and after but I still haven't got Rob's lovely small stars!

Original Image

sadr_011111_l.jpg

Reworked Image

sadr_011111_repro_l.jpg

I've never confirmed the "butterfly" in this shot...I have an idea where it might be, but the "butterfly" I see in your image is smaller with the tips of the wings having large stars near the star head center...is that the butterfly?

Good work! ;)

Thanks for your comments on the rework folks.

You know, DugDog, I've never really thought about this one as many of these named nebulae are like so many of the constellations - they only have a passing resemblance to their names! However, I suspect that the 'wings' of this one are the bright red fans of nebulosity either side of the dark central rift running top left to bottom right but that is a tenuous shape at best!

Anyone know for sure?

I don't see the stars much different in the reworked image, but an improved general contrast is there for sure, which gives a deeper red to the dense areas of the nebula, and darker dark in the dark areas.

Its a lovely sight to me in either one.

My eyes are not nearly as acute as they used to be. Even new specs have not helped a great deal, so my comments are not intended to be at loggerheads with others comments here ;).

Ron.

Archived